the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zimbabwe gheko

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateatcrowlas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zimbabwe gheko
    Posted: 21 Sep 2007 at 7:12pm

Not sure if this is of any interest to anyone but we managed to photograph this on a recent trip to Zimbabwe.  It's not the best photo but we only had a phone!

Snake Inc. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake Inc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2007 at 4:37pm

Surprised there is any wildlife left even if it is a gecko. I hear they go well with tomato pot with beans.

"For in the end we will conserve only what we love
We will love only what we understand
And we will understand only what we have been taught"

http://www.reptilepets.co.za/
kateatcrowlas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateatcrowlas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 2:07pm

We saw loads of exciting lizards, ghekos, a salamander and a chameleon (the most exciting of all for me).  As intrepid adventurers we even found steaks and Coca Cola, bread and lions eluded us though!

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 6:03am
It doesn't look real, it looks more like a toy does that. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateatcrowlas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 1:20pm
It was real alright, we spent long enough chasing it around the house trying to photograph it!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2008 at 7:04am

It's really beautiful.   Defo an odd colour though.   I didn't know white ones existed!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateatcrowlas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2008 at 7:37pm

Nor did I, nor did the Zims I was staying with.   They wanted to save it for me as a pet (I said no, so it probably has ended up in a stew as a previous person has suggested!). 

I have had real trouble getting peeps on this site to believe I have albino newts in my pond (not that I have seen any for ages), but it does seem to me that colourless amphibians are more common than everyone thinks!  

A bit like little egrets, according to most books I have, they don't come to UK, but I am in no doubt I watched one for about 15 mins a couple of weeks ago. (Really bad photos available if anyone interested)

Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 3:57am
There are quite a few egrets in N. Wales as well.

Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 5:22am

OK, so IÆm new to this site and havenÆt fully browsed it yet or learnt lots about amphibians yet à..so whatÆs an egret? Can you post your rubbish photos kateatcrowlas please?

Albino newts sound fab! I bet theyÆre real cute.

Hope the white gheko didnÆt end up in some stew.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateatcrowlas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 2:38pm

To Baby Sue

An egret is a bird, a bit like a heron, sorry, went totally off topic then!  I think my point was that just because people haven't seen many of something, doesn't mean they aren't there.

I joined the site when I realised I had so much going on in my pond and needed help identifying things and taking care I didn't hurt anything.  It has turned into a minor obsession, stalking my pond in the middle of the night, in the rain and trying to spot all things amphibian wherever I go! 

Two years ago I was horrified to discover we had frogs, toads and slow worms in the garden, now they are my babies (except the slow worms, can't warm to them!).  I think it was the newts that did it though, they are just so funny to watch and very beautiful.

I hope you've got lots to look at too!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic