the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aesculapian snake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhanlon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2008 at 5:06pm

I've only just found this thread and after being told about these London snakes last year by someone who went to see the Welsh ones I'd like to check them out. Guess they'll be coming out about now? Does anyone fancy a trip or can they give me directions to the best spot?

I knew about the Welsh ones when i was studying at Bangor in the nineties but thought they would be impossible to find (I read there were 1 or 2 sightings a year). Also, I had my hands full with polecats at the time...

st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 11:26am
I have only made one trip down to Regents Canal this year and had no luck spotting snakes.  I thought I might get lucky as it was very early on during one of the days that proved to be pretty hot last week. 

Anyone else had any luck on the Aesculapian front this year?
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 3:31pm

Hi

Had some luck a fortnight ago when I took the kids to the zoo; saw 3 snakes including 2 in a bush - see top photo; what worries me is the proximity of hundreds of people within inches of the animals - someone might catch / kill one ?  Also is the zoo trying to catch and keep / euthanase the animals ?

Cheers

Will

PS those with the technical skills feel free to rearrange the photos vertically !

Edited by GemmaJF
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:39am

That's reassuring David; thanks.   I think someone at ZSL was going to do a survey of them but Richard Gibson who was the curator of herpetology has left and I have lost my contacts there.

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 12:18pm

Id  would like to know how eu law on catching aesculapian snakes can be applied here as they aint natural species from here and who would enforce it pc plod who can just about issue  motoring offencess, I would think the only crime would be some stupid byelaw as trespassing or some loitering   importuning  offence on crownland or British waterways enbankments within the regents park areas of left wing Camden towns  last bastion of the Blairite polit bureau enclave in England keith

Edited by AGILIS
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 8:48am

Will to get the piccies vertically

Do it like this

(space)

(hit the enter key to make another blank line)

etc

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 11:20am

Thanks Gemma

I'm so

useless

with

technology !

st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 9:23am
Will, the pics were great.

I went to the park today and had a good snoop round, but outside the Zoo.  No joy.  I am starting to think I had beginner's luck on finding that original juvenile.

Are you of the opinion that the majority of animals are inside the zoo grounds?  Do you find them north or south of the canal?  I still find it odd that mine was on the south bank, which receives very little sun.  I am going to the zoo probably next week and could do with a couple of pointers.

Thanks

Rick
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 3:30pm
Thanks Rick

I have indeed found the majority of snakes within the zoo grounds, on the sunny north bank (south facing, of course).   I have a success rate of 0.5 snakes per visit, if you see what I mean - they're not easy to spot.  Also some of the best habitat is 'off limits' to the public, unfortunately !

Good hunting

Will
jhanlon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhanlon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 3:51pm

I'm planning a trip soon for these and I'd be grateful for any tips regarding seeing the snakes. From what I've read they can be on the ground or in the trees/ bushes and the N bank of the canal within the zoo grounds is best. Any time of day? Is mid summer a good time to look and is there any particular method in locating them?

If anyone is going to look outside the grounds and wants an extra pair of eyes PM me and I'll try to join you if I'm available.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic