the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aesculapian snake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 2:33pm
Mark,

I was going to suggest the same thing, as rail links to the area are excellent. Don't make the same mistake I did and drive !

I'm not sure about my availability in September yet, but a few people looking in good weather might just give an idea of how widespread they are !
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 2:55pm
Well I have the w/c Sunday 9th and w/c Sunday 30th off so plenty of options.  October maybe getting a little late but considering how variable the weather has been, anything is possible!

Mark

Edited by arvensis
Danial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 2:52am
I went with Steve to see the site and the snake, and am also keen to return in better weather.
The habitat on one side of the canal is woodland with a ground cover of ivy, and at the time quite cool and dark.
There are plenty of holes in the bank, probably rat, so lots of places to hide along with log piles, and possibly tree holes.

Some pics follow

Danial

Edited by Alan Hyde
Consultant Ecologist and Amphibians Officer of Surrey Amphibian and Reptile Group
www.surrey-arg.org.uk

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 4:21am
Hi Daniel,
Nice pics mate. Hope you don't mind , I edited your post as the pics were side by side and difficult to view
Cheers,
Al
O-> O+>
st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 12:27pm

My availability is not great in September, but I could possibly manage Sunday 9th.  Not to worry - I live very close to the site and might even get down there tomorrow.  I feel a warm day is important as I think these reptiles enjoy a bit of heat.

Here is another pic.  Thanks to Paul for these pics - my camera out of action.  I hope he won't mind me posting these

Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 1:56pm

I'd be up for this trip. St Rick, when I found the bigger one it was 6-7 years ago. Wether this one is it's offspring I couldn't say. But, it was a lot bigger than this recent find. So maybe there is atleast a couple/pair.

Someone pick a date.

Deano
Better to be lucky than good looking.
Danial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 4:49pm
Hi Alan

Glad you liked the pics and thanks for editing them.

Danial
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2007 at 7:07am
HI  daniel like the photos great shots its amazing to be able to jump of bus or tube in almost central London and get straight into a snake safari.no doubt in the future some one will pass a by law to have special licence . has there been any thought as to what else may have estabilished itself  lurking in the undergrowth maybe a friendly Cobra or a nice black mamba who knows ?.   keith 
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2007 at 7:30am

It's occurred to me that a 7 foot Aesculapian (they go olive all over when adult) would not look unlike a Black Mamba, they're quick too, especially if encountered in the environs of London Zoo!

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2007 at 11:48am

Heres my mates mamba

Just a warning (I am sure everyone knows this) but you do need a license to release any animals captured at Regents.....

I would be up for a trip in September I was going to Jersey but I am delaying that until next spring.

Let me know and I would like to come along

Unofficial RAUK trip 3 or is it 4?

Jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic