the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Camden Creature

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 21>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2007 at 12:21pm
Nice idea Jon - but any survey would have to be with permission of ZSL, at least within their grounds, of course

Here's another one - 1.5m individual - from earlier in the summer

Cheers

Will
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 5:58am
1.5 Metres is a pretty decent size. One thing we noticed in the N. Wales population is that average size is very small compared with natural populations in Germany and Poland. Any hints on average sizes in London?

Cheers,

WW
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 10:22am

Hello Wolfgang

The larger snake's size was estimated when I photographed it crossing a paving slab for scale.  The smaller one was about 75cm but nothing to allow a more accurate guesstimate.

Maybe ZSL have more extensive data which could produce a meaningful average ?

Cheers

Will 

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2007 at 1:57pm
Another snake from last weekend - basking at the base of a tree, measured approx 130cm when I put my camera case beside it.
Cheers, Will
Rupe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2007 at 6:12am
Made a couple of visits to the area over the past few weeks as well as earlier in the year but alas no sightings.Last visit 15/9/07 met two other very capable and experienced enthusiasts from south of the river with same quest.As i left before them can they contact me on PM of their results.
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2007 at 12:16pm
When the weather warms up next year, who's up for a return visit?

Mark
Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2007 at 10:06pm

Originally posted by arvensis arvensis wrote:

When the weather warms up next year, who's up for a return visit?

Mark

I am, the Regents Park Rd is my old stomping ground :)

P.s, As i don't post much (at least at the moment anyway), I'd just like to wish all the RAUK forum members a very Happy New Year. Alex.

st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2007 at 5:32pm

Mark,

I'm definitely up for a return visit and will be keeping an eye on the site throughout next year, I expect.  I still have no idea of the population density In London.  I was amazed to find a snake within the first 10 minutes on my first visit;  however, the next couple of visits produced nothing, so who knows?

Anyways, I will certainly show you the site.

Happy New Year

Rick

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 3:53pm
Hi All, Happy New Year etc

I'd be happy to show people where I saw some last year, but a seasonal message from 'Elf 'n' Safety' regarding needles and trees - and I'm not talking the Xmas conifer variety.   Anyone trying to spot Aesculapians on the banks of the Canal should be aware of a subspecies of human which also uses the banks for narcotics - dirty needles abound, sometimes thoughtfully stuck in trees but sometimes left on the ground - it's no place for a family trip (no pun intended) - it's safer to search within the zoo grounds !

Cheers

Will

PS I wonder when they emerge - any data from the Welsh Mountain Zoo pop ?
Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2008 at 6:24pm
Hi All

I'd like to get back and have a look sometime.

I'm guess they would emerge sooner than the WMZ population. London is always that bit warmer.

Let's wait to hear from the experts.
Deano
Better to be lucky than good looking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 21>
  Share Topic