the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Camden Creature

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2007 at 7:05pm
No wonder I could never see anything in that pit. You'd nicked the lot! Kids eh!
Deano
Better to be lucky than good looking.
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2007 at 2:55am
Originally posted by AGILIS AGILIS wrote:

innoccent m,lud......... áá Dont think I see any Aescu how do you spell it snakesá either only walls greens adders and grass.If you got caught by the authorities today nicking them the punishment would more likly be aá 2 month holiday in the West Indies or S Africa, unlike in the 1950s you got a good thrashing and sentenced to ten years in a secure mental institution unless it was a capital offence how I miss them good old Blairiteá pc freeá days .á keithá

That Post Tickled me Keith, but you're not the only one.
Confession Time

When I was 13 I reguarly visited a pet shop not too far from where I lived.
This particular pet shop was very long and narrow with four rooms , the till being in the first and reptiles in the third.
One very hot day the owner had left a side door open in the reptile room and he was serving out front. I couldn't resist , I put my bicycle clip round the bottom of my jeans opened my flies and put a baby burmese python inside shaking it down my trouser leg. Then out the door and peddled like mad home with a big grin on my face.
I also worked part time at another herp shop and arrived at work in time to hear this phone conversation ,
"No, I don't believe it, you've had a python nicked Frank?"
In those days Pythons were worth big money, my crime also made it into the local rag

"Snakes Alive! Python Stolen From Local Pet Shop"

If you're out there Frank, sorry

Edited by Alan Hyde
O-> O+>
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2007 at 3:28am
 hi Al I feel a lot better almost redeemed for getting that of my chest glad to see I am not alone is that why you moved into a priory to make confessions . if you thought my confession tickled you I bet the python tickled a lot more  keith 

Edited by AGILIS
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2007 at 4:24am
See the confession thread for how I fed that snakey
O-> O+>
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 10:27am

Back to the garter snakes - wasnt there a few hundred released from the studios who filmed Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark?

J

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 10:27am

I have a report of green lizards along the Thames Estuary - I think after the discovery of Aes snakes in London I may go down there next spring to see if any green lizards are about

j

Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 5:28pm

Hello all, long time no speak...Great to see the messageboard and it's inhabitants back :) . From reading the Wild About Britain forum recently I'm fairly sure we have one young poster who'll almost certainly wet himself when he see's RAUK is up and running again ;)

R.e Aesculapians, All very interesting. I used to live and work around Regents Park but never realised that this species resided on my doorstep. Wonder what the population density is like given that they've been there some years? 

Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 12:38pm
There was some work being done on a footpath coming down from the main road, when I found my one. I noticed a snakes head peering out from the edge of the unfinished path (paving slabs) and pointed it out to my mate Ron, who proceeded to walk in reverse. As the snake came a little further out I grabbed it and extracted it from its hole. I took it to the study facility ZSL has on that side of the canal. I asked if they had lost a snake.The guy who answered the door, took a step back and exclaimed 'they're all along here. They feed on the rats and rabbits'.
If they have been doing that for 20 years and they're all along the canal embankment, could there be a fairly healthy population.

Sounds like another RAUK Day trip is taking shape. Anyone for next Saturday?
Deano
Better to be lucky than good looking.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2007 at 5:15pm
Hello All

Been looking at the snakes over the summer - am hoping to help ZSL with some form of survey work to establish how many / where the snakes are - they're close to various bird enclosures, for example.

Great animals though - I have spent time in France, Spain, Italy etc looking for Aesculapian snakes - ironic that my first wild (OK, feral) ones should be a couple of miles from my work..

Cheers

Will
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2007 at 11:52am

I am sure new LARG members would like to help out with any further survey work on these

Hopefully the fully fledged ARG will form this year ready for next year's survey season.

J

Edited by herpetologic2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
  Share Topic