the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Camden Creature

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Camden Creature
    Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Conners Conners wrote:

I wonder if they would find their ecological niche taken up by Natrix already? 

Highly likely. Thumbs Up

For anyone following this thread, the Aesculapian Snakes are still hanging on at Regents Canal in small numbers.

Conners View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 3:47pm
....that was in reply to Jay re garter snakes. 
Conners View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 3:46pm
I wonder if they would find their ecological niche taken up by Natrix already? 
Conners View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 3:43pm
Great news and great photo. 

JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 3:38pm
Being viviparous I would have thought the Garter Snake could have survived in parts of the UK too. I'm sure it had plenty of opportunities to colonise areas back in the 80's when they were so often kept as pets.

That's what makes the Aesculapian Snake so special. Not only is it the only introduced (I won't say non-native because I believe they were once native to the UK) snake species to successfully breed in the wild in this country but it's an egg-laying species too.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 9:44am
Hi Jay

Yes, still interested and good to hear they're still about. I'd much rather see others' posts/pics than visit London myself. I'm an urbanphobic (it IS a word - i just looked it up!
On another snakey note, i've often wondered why, given their prevalence in the pet trade and not too dissimilar natural habitats, why Garter Snakes haven't established anywhere here.
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 7:47pm
For anyone that's still following this thread there have been at least three sightings of the Aesculapian Snakes at Regents Canal this year thankfully. Hopefully the CV19 lockdown earlier in the year might have had a positive impact on these snakes.

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:28pm
Hi Ben

As Jason says, they can still be found, but I think fewer than in previous years.  Whether because of people taking them or being euthanised or maybe just poor hatching of young I can't say.  To be honest I haven't visited as much as I used to, after 10 years of getting nowhere with a formal scientific study supported by ZSL and NE I guess I'm a bit fed up of being the loner on the towpath staring into the bushes...
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 4:36pm
Hi Liz. I visited the site with a friend on the 21/04/2019 and found a male on one side of the canal and a female on the other side. My friend had looked for them a couple of weeks prior to our visit and found a different pair together. So there are still some snakes hanging on but I suspect numbers are down on a few years ago sadly. Images can be seen on my website:   http://www.jasonsteelwildlifephotography.yolasite.com/aesculapian-snakes.php

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 3:54pm
Hey Will (or perhaps Jay), what's the latest? Any updates?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
  Share Topic