the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snake Hooks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Herp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2007 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by martin g martin g wrote:

I dont use snake hooks, but I am an engineer in design.  Heres an idea that just occured to me when I checked out those 'carbon' hooks.

Find an old fishing rod, they tend to be very light (glass fibre or carbon) and hollow, any junk shop or shed.  Remove the eyelets (for the fishing line) this gives you a blank, very strong but very light stick, usually around a metre long.  Make your hook from hollow steel tube available from any hardware shop, insert and Araldite it in place.  You can sleeve the hook with clear plastic hose (aquarium shop) to protect the animals should you wish.

I have been trying all kinds of epoxy based glue/bonding compound but still my hook could not stand twisting movement or the eopxy will actually break. Is Araldite good in solving my problem cause we do have Araldite selling at hardwares shops in Malaysia. If using the compound, how can I bond the inner side of the golf shaft and the stainless steel hook part?

Uncle Herp
Malaysia Herpetology Club
Malaysia Fauna. com
uncleherp@malaysiafauna.com
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2007 at 8:26pm

Araldite is a form of epoxy.

Simple epoxy compound fixture between two materials will always be weak in shear.

Incorporate glass cloth or glass powder in the fixture, and fillet open joints. You will then increase shear strength and avoid stress concentration and over come the problem of weakness in relation to twisting. It will make the joint less 'brittle'.

I do use snake hooks and am also an aerospace engineer by training

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2007 at 8:50pm

PS also 'key' the steel heavily, if it is smooth you will still have the problem of the steel breaking away from the epoxy.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2007 at 9:09pm
Just another idea, to save money if you have broken carbon fibre rods available, you could grind them down to give you carbon fibre reinforcement of the epoxy joint instead of glass. Remember though that carbon fibres are potentially lethal in this state, so wear gloves and a face mask.
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2007 at 2:58am
If you need an adder hook in a hurry, a simple wire coat hanger is pretty good - just pull the long edge so as to straighten it, twist it once or twice, straighten the hook end into an L-shape, and voila, you have a snake hook.

Moreover, because of the bendiness of the whole thing, it's actually a pretty good tool for gently pinning the forebody of the adder with the handle end while grabbing the tail.

And when the hook end breaks off (as it tends to), you can then use the handle as a handy replacement aerial for your car

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Jimpklop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimpklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2007 at 8:54am
Hello

Any ideas for tubing? Does any one use them?

James
Im Craving Adder's(www.jimpklop.moonfruit.com)
martin g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2007 at 5:00pm
If araldite doesnt work, there is a product on the market called 'milliput' which is fibrerous and may do the trick.  Remember I havent made one of these, its just an idea.
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2007 at 5:07pm
If you use a golf club or hiking stick that i mentioned no adhesives are needed.
Just cut off the club head and many of the already rubber coated hooks sold at B&Q will just self tap and screw in the end.

Edited by Alan Hyde
O-> O+>
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2007 at 5:12pm

Araldite would work, it just needs some glass or carbon fibres in it to resist failure to twisting as would any epoxy. Snake hooks can put a suprising torque through the joint and this is why they fail at this point unless using a reinforced compound.

Milliput is a filler (epoxy putty), not good for bonding but quite good for filling cracks on model aeroplanes, not that I would be found doing such things of course, we leave all such activities to Iowarth.

I used to make resin furniture for vivariums, so have experimented a lot with epoxy and reinforcement. It is amazing the difference in bond strength between a straight epoxy joint and a epoxy/glass joint.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2007 at 7:58pm
LOL Tony, I'll own up to using a bent coathanger for a long time too. Did you find that yours would get 'lost' in the field then turn up again seasons later? Mine used to! I only really started to buy hooks when I set up M&G Ecology, we wanted to 'look' a bit more professional
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic