the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimpklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help.
    Posted: 29 Jun 2006 at 8:36am
wondering if anyone could help me.
Im out herping this weekend and its going to be hot!
so im going to go out early in the morning to see them basking.What time should i head out for the best chance before it gets to hot?
a speedy reply please
Thanks so much
MR O'Shea
Im Craving Adder's(www.jimpklop.moonfruit.com)
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2006 at 11:01am

Others can probably be more specific but I've found being TOO early is as bad as being too late. Between 9am and 10, and closer to 10, I'd say for my sites but not any earlier. By noon it's getting a bit too hot (if a sunny day like today). Having said that it's often a surprise to come across lizards and snakes out in what you might consider over hot conditions.

Good luck with your days out.

Suz
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2006 at 12:34pm

Watch the weather forecast if it rains on Saturday night it may be more productive on the Sunday Morning - I would suggest that it may be best to go out at around 07.30 onwards until about 10am - especially on Saturday as it is forecasted for 30 degrees!

Check the temperature when you get the site - I went out today at my local site and it was 26 to 27 degrees by 12noon - and only one sighting of grass snake - a 'tail glimpse' in long grass and it was very very fast!

Jon

Jimpklop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimpklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2006 at 2:09pm

Thanks guy's

I will go out nice and early about 7:30 till 10:00. Might be a wasted day as I'm not sure if there is any thing there. but some one has placed tin down which is well settled so some one knows or also thinks there maybe.

Thanks

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2006 at 5:50pm

Jon has given you good advice. If you're out early you won't miss them! Although it gets hot here in East Devon if you look at the temperatures on weather maps we are usually cooler than Dorset/Hants/home counties. My brother who knows Studland well and has spent much time over there herping notices how cool our evenings are here in Devon on the heaths compared to Studland. Perhaps the herps hang around a bit longer in the mornings as they haven't carried over so much body warmth during the night.

Suz
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2006 at 6:21am
I decided to have a quick look around the closest site to me a couple of evenings ago.    After a brief scout around, I was going to call it quits but decided to look in one final place.   

2 females were found within 10 feet of each other.   It was just after 8 in the evening and temperature was about 17-18 degrees C.     So I think that if the temperature has cooled down enough, evenings are worth looking too.

Mark
Jimpklop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimpklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2006 at 7:59am
Thanks
Thats interesting I heard after 5-ish its hopless nearly so I have never bothered. But I will if the temp is around what you say it was when you saw something.
Maybe a dumb question but where do Adders go when there not basking?Any one know.
Thanks guys.
MR O'Shea
Jimpklop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimpklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2006 at 5:23pm

Hi Guys

Went out this evening , Still no luck. Bad luck actually Got stung by a bee and got scared by a deer if you know what noise they make and they have done it about 6 ft away you'd understand. It makes a really loud bark I looked up to my left and there one was I thought awww it gorgeous then the bark came from another deer 6 feet from my right. Christ it scared me for a short while. Any way I will try again tomorrow and let you know how I got on. There is tin there but who put it there I don't know. So if you have placed tin in the lower Bourne area on a reasonably small site . It could be the site I'm on.

Thanks

MR O'Shea

Edited by Jimpklop
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2006 at 6:17pm

I'm sure Tony is spot-on with the Roe deer.

Very similar thing happened to me the other week when I and a Roe buck mutually surprised eachother on Crooksbury. Luckily, my first instinct was to use the camera in my hands :P

I still got a good barking at though!

James, I'm pretty sure that is an HCT tin, but I don't know what it has turned up in the past, I'll try to find out from Chris. It would be great if you can keep records of your visits there, & remember to include records when you see nothing.

Edited by Vicar
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2006 at 4:21am

Since when did RAUK stay on topic Tony?  

Bog rush (Juncus), not a mis-spelling of bog brush, the stuff to look for when trying to track down adder in the summer months, not exclusively, but many of the areas where I see adder at this time of year have the stuff, so a good thing to look out for when making a start.

Does make you wonder sometimes though doesn't it, being zapped by horseflies, falling down badger sets, spending time in tick infested habitat, running the gauntlet of 'murder bucks' just to see animals that most people don't even like very much.. keep up the good work!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic