the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Complete froglet newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Complete froglet newbie
    Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 4:38pm

Hi

We have around 25 froglets (well almost there are still 2 tadpoles with legs) After reading a few threads on this forum I have realised that the couple that died over the last few days probably did so because of having too much water in the tank

Anyway we have now re-built their living space to include much less water and much more slanty surfaces that they can get out onto. Its a large indoor fish tank as we intend to release them into the wild as soon as they are all ready (when is that exactly?).

Also when tadpoles we had lots of oxygenplant/fish food etc for them to feed on, now they are froglets what should we feed them? Can they have bloodworm type things etc?

One last thing - I read on a website about 'red leg' a disease that shows up in red patches on the froglet - one of ours definatley has red on his underside but none on his top - is this something we should be concerned with?

Cheers in advance and sorry to seem unprepared  we want5 the best for our little boys/girls

Awwww bless those little froggers!
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 6:01pm

Hi Joanne,

Well done with raising so many!

Feeding tiny froglets is quite difficult. You could try newly hatched crickets from a commercial supplier, or finding tiny insects such as aphids on plants. Another way is to run a very fine net through bushes in the evening to collect 'sweepings' in other words tiny insects that would be difficult to collect otherwise.

In my experience of froglets though, the best time to release them is now, as soon as they metamorphose. I know it is difficult to see them go so quickly, but the sooner they are finding their natural prey the better. Release them near a pond margin with plenty of cover such as long grass, if your lucky you will see them immediately make the most of any tiny insects that are available

Not sure about the red leg, I've only seen suspected symptoms of it in adult and sub-adult frogs, it might just be bruising if the little froglet has been trying to escape.

Edited by GemmaJF
Joanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2006 at 9:17am

hi,

thanx for getting back to me.i've been feeding them bloodworm which they seem to be eating.i'm going to take them to a big park that has frogs already in the pond thats there.i'm taking them at the weekend,but like you say,its gonna be hard to see them go,they're sooo cute,and i love watching them.but i think its time,they are crawling up the sides of the tank and when i lift the lid up,i always find some sat on the top edge of the tank.

thanx for your help.

joanne

Awwww bless those little froggers!
Morpheus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2006 at 4:48am
gemmaJF what do newly metaporphed smooth newts eat when thier on land cause thier jaws are absoloutly tiny!
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2006 at 5:37am
Equally tiny insects. Take a look around the edges of a good pond in mid to late summer around the time that the efts leave the water, it will be swarming with very tiny insects
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic