the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

grass snakes swimming in the sea?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: grass snakes swimming in the sea?
    Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 5:48pm

Hi all

Has anyone any records or sightings of grass snakes within large rivers or out at sea?

Another report of a grass snake from an Island around the Essex Coast leads me to suspect that grass snakes will venture from the mainland (off seawalls) onto these islands

any reports

Jon

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 12:02pm

Caleb, the reference is from Smith, The British Amphibians and Reptiles

"There is a record of a Ringed Snake caught in the Bay of Biscay many miles from the land, carried out, no doubt, on some river current. It was none the worse for its immersion in salt water"

Seems Smith's preferred name for N.n never really caught on in the UK.

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 1:12pm
I've just returned from Turkey where I caught a grassy swimming where the river meets the sea. A few more feet and he would've been in the briney
Al
O-> O+>
charlesm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 1:25pm
Hi all, this posting made me think of a new German field guide I bought recently ("Reptilien und Amphibien  Europas" by Axel Kwet). In the chapter on the dice snake the author states "Can even be found in salt water in some areas (eg on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast), where it feeds on marine fish". Of the viperine snake he says that in Galicia it turns up "on small islands just off the Atlantic Coast." These species are so closely related to the grass snake I guess that if they can happily swim (and even feed!) in salt water, then, biologically at least,there's nothing to stop the grass snake doing the same. I know that Scottish adders frequently swim out to, or even between, small islands in the lochs, presumably in search of food or mates, although of course these lochs are freshwater. 
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2006 at 3:21am

Great, I suspect that snakes are swimming in the sea around the Essex Coast - both adder and grass snake. I am curious about grass snake sightings on a few of the islands around Peldon and Mersea Island -

The county recorder can recall swimming in the creeks around Peldon when he was younger - he actually came face to face with a male adder!

Other more recent reports of adders swimming past sailing boats in the River Crouch have also sparked my interest in this activity.

Regards

Jon

charlesm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2006 at 5:01am
That's quite a story Jon - much as I love adders I wouldn't necessarily want to come face to face with one while swimming! The stories I've heard concerning our Scottish adders have all been in freshwater lochs but I guess there's no reason why they wouldn't do the same in sea lochs or even off the coast. It's definitely an interesting phenomenon though. I wonder if your Essex grass snakes have learnt to exploit marine fish as a food resource like their Bulgarian cousins? The other question is, particularly in the case of adders, to what extent are the snakes just using the water to cool off on particularly hot days?
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2006 at 7:50am

Somewhere here there is a thread about swimming adders. A nice pic taken by someone at Branscombe of one swimming in the edge of the sea and then them removing it to the back of the beach and hence escape back into the cliff undergrowth.

Tony Phelps I think said that this behaviour can be linked to mating/territorial behaviour as they are known to seek out islands etc.- the pic I mention was for May.

Suz
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2006 at 8:37am

Hi Suzi, Jon has seen this one I think, but for anyone following this thread and interested in the adder in sea water it is at:

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=983& amp;PN=5

Peter Stafford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2006 at 9:01am

A collegue here at work was telling me recently about a small grass snake that she saw last summer on a beach near Minsmere. The snake (a hatchling or yearling by her estimate of size) was moving toward the sea and within a yard of the water's edge, though not actually in the sea.

Peter

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2006 at 4:11pm

Seems logical - did you manage to get any photos? - I have had reports of grass snake eggs in various places - old grassy tussocks, pamber grass (is that the correct spelling) in a garden. bottom of a horse stable etc

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic