the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sexing a slow worm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2007 at 3:11pm

Jon,

I'm sorry if you saw my comments as an insult to you, as it wasn't intended to be (can't actually see how you thought it was though?).

I just can't see the sense in this sort of handling to a snake/lizard or whatever. It's just one of those things that I find particularly distasteful (no doubt you have some of your own). Of course there is the point of it being a captive animal etc, but, although its being unrealistic to expect people not to cage them, that's a different matter entirely to then pulling them around etc.

Maybe Gemmas right, its not a topic worth exploring as there are so many different views on 'sexing' on here and I've no doubt that you are able to do it perfectly well because of your experience, i just wouldn't like to see everyone following suit thinking that the forum in general approves..... maybe they do, but I can't, sorry again mate.

RV 

RobV
Crunchie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crunchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2007 at 4:53pm
Deary me what have I started, I have never popped a reptile before unfortunately and so would not feel comfortable doing so unless shown by someone with experience. I agree with Robert in the fact I don't think its possible to advise how to sex in this manner over a forum, different if someone was there with you. Same goes for probing (though obviously that applies more to snakes than slow worms).

As for being a novice well probably not as I've been keeping reptiles for nearly 11 years now with a slow worm I've had from adult size for 9 of those years. When I bought this animal I had had my other for 8 years and it was bought from the most reputable reptile shop I've had the pleasure of visiting so I wouldn't worry about loads of little slowies ending up in the care of thick newbies like myself. For the record I have never had to take the slow worms or any of my current reptiles to a vet so I'm sure the slow worms aren't having that hard a time.      
"Created to live
Created to share
With the fish of the sea
The birds of the air"
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2007 at 5:13pm

Sorry Crunchie to describe you as a noob. I've never seen a tame slowy pop when handled, I would guess you would have to apply quite a bit of pressure.

As with most forums we all either 'know each other' from talking on here or know each other outside the virtual world, so we aren't all arguing like a bunch of trolls really. I never agree with Jon and visa versa, I think we both benefit from the discussions though, at least I hope we do

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 7:55am

Oh yes, it did read like I was suggesting you were a novice crunch, sorry to you as well.... Foot in mouth time all round! And Gemma can double up as umpire if we need it Lol. Jon, come back....Jon, are you there? JOOOOONNNNNNN!

RobV
Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 8:33am
Looks to me like you've got yourself two females Crunchie. Out of interest, did the pet shops supplying you show the relevent paperwork to go with the sale of this species? I believe I'm right in saying they would have to prove that these specimens were not captured in the UK before sale!.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 10:29am

Yeah come back Jon, I've even agreed with you on another thread

I thought they were both females, though seeing something in excess of a 1000 slow worms a year I'm cautious. Some do look female but are showing signs of still loosing the juvenile colouration so are actually males. Equally the markings of females can fade-out so it is can be quite misleading.

One more method is to look at the jaw profile. Males have distinctly heavier looking jaws, trouble with this is you usually need quite a few specimens for comparision to really appreciate the difference as there is a fair bit of natural variation.

Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 11:24am
I know where you're coming from Gemma, perhaps Crunchie would kindly take another photo of each?, perhaps an aeriel view over a white background...Would like to see the headshape clearly. But looking at their size I would expect to see the distinctive bulkier head profile showing by now, certainly in the Af Crunchies owned for 9 or so years, but as it stands the colouration/markings/headshape just fall into line with these specimens being females to me.

Edited by Alex2
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 1:05pm
A couple of shots from underneath would help too, I can usually tell by the ventral colouration.
Crunchie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crunchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Alex2 Alex2 wrote:

Looks to me like you've got yourself two females Crunchie. Out of interest, did the pet shops supplying you show the relevent paperwork to go with the sale of this species? I believe I'm right in saying they would have to prove that these specimens were not captured in the UK before sale!.

Hi Alex,
I was provided with copies of paperwork for the sale of both animals though I have since misplaced the one for my German slowie. Still have the one for my Russian one however thankfully.
"Created to live
Created to share
With the fish of the sea
The birds of the air"
Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 6:10pm

Originally posted by Crunchie Crunchie wrote:

Originally posted by Alex2 Alex2 wrote:

Hi Alex,
I was provided with copies of paperwork for the sale of both animals though I have since misplaced the one for my German slowie. Still have the one for my Russian one however thankfully.

Good stuff, although not illegal to keep Af captive in this country it's still good to have the paperwork, if anything just to reassure that no underhand tactics were coming from the petshop!. I can remember an old Bournemouth reptile shop (thats since closed) selling Smooth Newts...I think it's fair to say this chap wasn't importing these from over seas. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic