the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sexing a slow worm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Peter Vaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Vaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sexing a slow worm
    Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 7:34pm

The thread can degenerate more yet...

Thinking about Grass Snake sizes - I only saw the tail of one yesterday so I suppose the total length of the snake could have been anything between two feet and nine feet (or more) in length.  Only limited by imagination really...

Time to turn in for the night I think.

Peter Vaughan
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 7:04pm
Oh dear another thread degenerates.....  I'll be down at Chigborough tomorrow weather permitting, could be some biggies down there, though most are nice stocky 3 footers that I've seen to date.
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 6:48pm

You were clearly pushing too HARD!

take it easy....

Well Rob aint gonna get anything over 4ft so I thought I may have to make do with a 5 footer just to be sure lol

Jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 6:33pm

I've just tried it on 'Purple Gertie' and all her beans have fallen out, bad advice that Jon to try it out on your favourite stuffed toy

You need to get a 6 footer surely Jon

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 6:28pm

I am going to get that 5 foot grass snake this year by the way Rob!

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 6:27pm

LOL

So before you rub them too much and of course heat them up - getting the males to expose themselves quickly would be a useful tool in identifying the sexes - especially in young animals.

Though of course I cannot recommend that anyone does this as no one can possibly try this on a live animal. It may be best to try it out on a stuffed toy just to get the hand of it......

Come on people get in the real world will you!

Gem seems to make tail autonomy to an art form - perhaps some go faster stripes and lower suspension though I may have mixed up my sentences.......

Wonder what old slippery is going to announce next week.....its not April Fools yet is it?

Regards

JC

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by herpetologic2 herpetologic2 wrote:

Well I think the word 'popping' the hemipenes is a little misleading when it comes to slowworms. Generally when you hold male slowworms if they are thrashing about messing etc they will expose their hemipenes -

I've seen this happen probably twice in as many decades, most that are thrashing to that extent drop the tail without it even being touched. A sure sign that they are too warm for capture in my book.

Still 'popping your pet' could become as popular as 'pimping your ride' I guess. (do you think Jon will shout at us again Rob )

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 4:01pm

Groan..... I give up.

R

RobV
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 8:38am

Well I think the word 'popping' the hemipenes is a little misleading when it comes to slowworms. Generally when you hold male slowworms if they are thrashing about messing etc they will expose their hemipenes -

I have seen Nick Smith look at slowworms and he uses gentle pressure with a finger behind the cloaca - a push down onto this will produce poo in females no hempenes but in males usually hemipenes will invert out to the side of the cloaca.

Given the originator of this post had a captive slowworm which in my opinion should never have been bought (no offence intended) as yeah its a German slowworm or its a Russian Slowworm or what ever - in this country it is illegal to sell slowworms which in my mind is absolutely right......leave that rant...

If you look at the base of the cloaca and the body it is quite soft and can be gently pushed to expell faeces - so if done slowly and gently will not do any harm to the animal.

It was a suggestion as some male slowworms do look like females and vice versa

You wouldnt want to touch the tail mind as this would break surely

Jon

Crunchie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crunchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2007 at 10:30am
It was brought to the attention of a reptile forum I use but I'm unsure if the admin took the ad off their site. Here's the thread in question...

http://www.livefoodshop.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=4819 3&hl=slow

Originally posted by Alex2 Alex2 wrote:

Originally posted by Crunchie Crunchie wrote:

Yes unfortunately I saw an add on a reptile classified add site last year advertising common lizards and slow worms as F2 generation so legal to sell. Unfortunately it eventually turned out that the person selling thought that F2 meant they had to be kept in captivity for two years. To make matters worse they offered to send the slow worms out by Royal mail special delivery which is illegal in itself.

I hope this was reported? And if not, do you have a name/email etc of the seller/sellers?, if so PM me and I'll pass it on to the relevant people. Sadly a prime example of why it's a bad idea to post on the net specific sites that herps occupy, plays right into the collectors hands. I always like to think that this is a thing of the past but sadly we know this not to be true. 

"Created to live
Created to share
With the fish of the sea
The birds of the air"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic