the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sexing a slow worm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2007 at 10:21am
There is a general licence here in Wales as well, for sale of common amphibians outside of the breeding season. I haven't seen the text of it, but the English equivalent used to be viewable on the DEFRA website. You don't need to carry the thing around in your pocket, it just exempts you from the relevant provisions of the WCA.
Local Authority Ecologist
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2007 at 4:43am

I need to show my survey or development license on demand to Natural England or Police officers so you should also with selling licenses

jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2007 at 4:42am

Only under a license - I cannot sell toads, frogs and newts as I DO NOT HAVE A LICENSE TO DO SO. If I collected some frogs in my back garden in December - I placed a sign outside my house 'Frogs for sale 50p each' I will be breaking the law as I do not have a license!

If you happen to have a license then you are not allowed to sell the amphibians in the breeding season and in particular places

Palmate newts are very rare in the counties listed

I think you will find that the license will name the licensee and it would not cover anyone else you have to apply for a specific license just like a survey license for great crested newts.

Though this may be different for pet shops - for instance they donot need a DWA for selling dangerous animals - they just have to sell to people that have them........

If you apply for a license for a pet shop does that include everyone in the shop?

Jon

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2007 at 3:28am

Where was Natural England, RSPCA and the Police when you need them.......I think we need to make sure that these people get charged

I once caught a pet shop cashing in on toad tadpoles - they were selling them in plastic bags at 60p a go - I asked are they common toad? they said they are as common as they come?

So I went to the police and the RSPCA paid a visit and all the toad tadpoles were taken off sale -

So keep an eye out on exotic pet stores as they may put these animals on sale at this time of year.

The plastic bags were on the counter next to the bloodworm and othe rlive foods!

Jon

Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 8:34pm

Originally posted by Crunchie Crunchie wrote:

Yes unfortunately I saw an add on a reptile classified add site last year advertising common lizards and slow worms as F2 generation so legal to sell. Unfortunately it eventually turned out that the person selling thought that F2 meant they had to be kept in captivity for two years. To make matters worse they offered to send the slow worms out by Royal mail special delivery which is illegal in itself.

I hope this was reported? And if not, do you have a name/email etc of the seller/sellers?, if so PM me and I'll pass it on to the relevant people. Sadly a prime example of why it's a bad idea to post on the net specific sites that herps occupy, plays right into the collectors hands. I always like to think that this is a thing of the past but sadly we know this not to be true. 

Crunchie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crunchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 7:09pm
Yes unfortunately I saw an add on a reptile classified add site last year advertising common lizards and slow worms as F2 generation so legal to sell. Unfortunately it eventually turned out that the person selling thought that F2 meant they had to be kept in captivity for two years. To make matters worse they offered to send the slow worms out by Royal mail special delivery which is illegal in itself.

Edited by Crunchie
"Created to live
Created to share
With the fish of the sea
The birds of the air"
Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 6:10pm

Originally posted by Crunchie Crunchie wrote:

Originally posted by Alex2 Alex2 wrote:

Looks to me like you've got yourself two females Crunchie. Out of interest, did the pet shops supplying you show the relevent paperwork to go with the sale of this species? I believe I'm right in saying they would have to prove that these specimens were not captured in the UK before sale!.

Hi Alex,
I was provided with copies of paperwork for the sale of both animals though I have since misplaced the one for my German slowie. Still have the one for my Russian one however thankfully.

Good stuff, although not illegal to keep Af captive in this country it's still good to have the paperwork, if anything just to reassure that no underhand tactics were coming from the petshop!. I can remember an old Bournemouth reptile shop (thats since closed) selling Smooth Newts...I think it's fair to say this chap wasn't importing these from over seas. 

Crunchie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crunchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Alex2 Alex2 wrote:

Looks to me like you've got yourself two females Crunchie. Out of interest, did the pet shops supplying you show the relevent paperwork to go with the sale of this species? I believe I'm right in saying they would have to prove that these specimens were not captured in the UK before sale!.

Hi Alex,
I was provided with copies of paperwork for the sale of both animals though I have since misplaced the one for my German slowie. Still have the one for my Russian one however thankfully.
"Created to live
Created to share
With the fish of the sea
The birds of the air"
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 1:05pm
A couple of shots from underneath would help too, I can usually tell by the ventral colouration.
Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 11:24am
I know where you're coming from Gemma, perhaps Crunchie would kindly take another photo of each?, perhaps an aeriel view over a white background...Would like to see the headshape clearly. But looking at their size I would expect to see the distinctive bulkier head profile showing by now, certainly in the Af Crunchies owned for 9 or so years, but as it stands the colouration/markings/headshape just fall into line with these specimens being females to me.

Edited by Alex2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic