the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1st grassie of 2006

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2006 at 12:47pm
Grassies are not alone:

Title: Response of western diamondback rattlesnakes Crotalus atrox to airborne sounds
Author(s): Young BA, Aguiar A
Source: JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY 205 (19): 3087-3092 OCT 2002

Abstract: In order to test the hypothesis that snakes can not only perceive airborne sounds, but also respond to them, an acoustic isolation chamber was designed and constructed to perform best within the 150-450 Hz range in which snakes perceive sound. Suspended within this acoustic chamber was a steel mesh basket designed to minimize the potential for groundborne vibrations. A synthesized tone was created out of 20 different 150 ms sounds, each separated by a 50 ms period of silence; the acoustic energy of each of the 20 sounds was concentrated between 200-400 Hz, and each sound included frequency modulation. The trial stimuli were presented to western diamondback rattlesnakes Crotalus atrox at a level 5-10 dB above their perception threshold. Four significant behavioural responses were observed upon stimulus presentation: cessation of body movements, reduction or cessation of tongue flicking, rapid jerks of the head and rattling. At least one significant behavioural response was observed in 92% of the behavioural trials. This study provides the first experimental evidence that snakes can respond behaviourally to airborne sounds.
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2006 at 12:00pm

Caleb,

thing is, with so many studies showing/suggesting the same thing and with peoples own experiences seemingly to back up the airbourne sound theory, don't you think that its more likely, than unlikely? after all, they used to say that the earth was flat!

R

RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2006 at 12:44pm

I know its a bit obnoxious to say I told you so, but, hey, I did! Today (8th) 12O' clock, 12 degrees, varying and cold westerley breeze, mating of five grassies, four males and one receptive female. Pics to follow. Didn't manage to catch all the action and saw a fantastic chase of the group as they weaved across bracken and scrub. At one point, one of the males 'leapt' from a log to keep up and for a split second was in thin air! They were completely oblivious to me until they entwined, then they became more than a bit twitchy!

So, if we calculate 66 /67 days from now. Eggs due, 14th/15th maybe 20th June.

RobV
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 5:37pm

Numbers 6 and 7 from Robert, I love the second picture, excellent

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2006 at 1:03pm

gemma, thanks. Isn't he a gem!

It's the same male in both photos, one with a female of course, but I don't think he mated, as there were bigger more experienced males in situ. Anyway he seemed more interested in me! perhaps he was a human in a past life haha. Anyway, he was last in first out every time they darted for cover. Very inquisitive. I hope he lives for a very long time, but, sadly we know that any snake that looks for too long instead of disappearing, does exactly that - disappears.

R

RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 12:06pm

Hi all,

here's the female close up.

Note for Peter. All males mated and dispersed by 18th April. A couple of females stayed later but they have now moved on.

R

Edited by GemmaJF
RobV
lucym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 11:59am
yippppppeeeeeeeeeee first grassie of the year for me today out basking as i rode by, scarpered as i dismounted but neigh mind its made my year so far..... and set me up larrrvely for the weekends herping! brill, goodluck to all. lucy m.
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2006 at 3:50pm

Lucy,

well done, there's something special about the first of year, it's like 'at last the winter's over!'. Roughly whereabouts did you see it?

R

RobV
*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2006 at 5:02pm

i had this one last week lacking yellow neck band

152.jpg

paul

lucym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2006 at 1:57pm

Hi Rob, sorry about the late reply, just experienced some computer technicals, i saw the grassie in an open woodland, amongst the bluebell stems and dry fern. its a spot a couple of miles from Guildford towards the sussex border. popped back on sat and came accross another, little larger this time. i've got some photos being developed at the mo... i'll try and scan them and upload as i'm still saving to join the digital age!. verry happy indeed as its a brand new site for me to keep tabs on.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic