the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reptile Digital photography

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2006 at 4:14pm

Hi Tony, I hadn't been setting the aperture, only the shutter speed.

I think my next efforts will be to play with the aperture settings either in semi automatic mode where the camera then chooses the shutter speed or in full manual mode as Wolfgang suggested where I can set both shutter speed and aperture.

I came across an article on the web that suggested for macros I ought to be going for the smallest aperture and therefore a large f/number to get the maximum depth of field. Would you say this is generally true for close-up snake photography, or are there more important considerations?

I've been thinking about taking a rubber snake out with me to get the camera settings right for the conditions before I approach the real thing.. I dismissed it as daft but perhaps not so silly with your suggestion to use a stick or whatever is at hand to set up the shot.

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2006 at 4:39pm
Nothing wrong with that Gemma . When I bought my canon I practiced in my garden with a rubber Iguana untill I felt as comfortable with it as I did with the Olympus. I still prefer my Olympus for macro BTW.

O-> O+>
Paul Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 4:45am

excuse me if somone did mention it but I missed it..........

Gemma get yourself a canon off shoe cord when you get a flash and no need to get a 580 ex get one of these from this place its a far better deal and is 90% the flash the 580 is anyway which is more than enough for all but the true pro's

linky http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPat h=25_32&products_id=53

hope that helps

photoherper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photoherper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2006 at 1:58pm
The long winter goes on and on, but I went out to a local adder site with my new toy (Nikon D200) for its first use.

With the air temp being 3c and snow all over I didnt expect much but was pleased to find 5 male adders out basking in areas where the snow had melted.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2006 at 2:19pm

Thanks for the link Paul, a considerable saving over the 580 EX indeedy, I'll remember to buy the off shoe cord 

That is an awesome shot Photoherper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photoherper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2006 at 3:42pm
This shot was taken with Fuji S3 pro, 105mm Macro Lens, bean bag, Macro Speedlite (not a ring flash) diffuser and rear curtain setting.

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 2:53am
Nice Pics photoherper
O-> O+>
Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 10:41am
Photoherper, both that Adder pic' & this Newt one,..brilliant! I've never been much cop at takin' photo's but i'm intending to get practising again soon.
johnc79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnc79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 12:50pm

Originally posted by -LAF -LAF wrote:

Agree with you in theory, but Tripods frequently aren't practicable when shooting herps. For a start, they move. Secondly, most tripods won't get low enough to the floor for close up in situ shots of snakes. I've got a Benobo One that does allow me to get the low level, albeit with the camera inverted, but it's still wholely impractical for most occasions.

The only reasonable way to ensure pin sharp herp shots are with the bennefit of flash (or preferably two) or to use a bean bag (or if there's enough light, just go prone and use a relatively wide aperture and be more selective with your focal point). At close focus, the most efficient way of continually adjusting focus is by moving the camera. Not something that you can do smoothly when it's on a tripod, unless you use a focusing rail as well.

Don't get me wrong, tripods are an essential bit of photographic kit, and would be ideal if using a telephoto lens to get the shot. But for macro work, unless it's a plant, lichen or something else static, they just don't work very well.

Lee.

Would a small monopod be better and more practical?

John

http://www.jessops.com/search/dointellisearch.cfm?node=339

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photoherper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 2:29pm
When undertaking macro type photography and in particular herps I always try to go for a decent depth of field. As a direct result unless to live in the sahara where you have intense bright lite you will usually be limited to a slow shutter speed (even with flash).

You need to be rock solid if your to avoid and camera shake.

A bean bag will do nicely ( bag of rice up the amazon does great sand in the gobi and so on) or a tripod.

If you have a benbo type tripod it should be straight foreward to get it in the correct position and with the camera the correct way up !

Take a lot of practice but I'd rather have one pin sharp and no shake than lots of very slightly soft images.

I'll post some others to show what I mean.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic