the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lenses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnc79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 3:41pm

Hello everyone, I'm new to the DSLR world. Just brought a Canon EOS 350D and i'm sure i will have loads of questions to ask soon!  For now though, what does in Situ mean?Confused

Many thanks

John

*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 4:51pm

hi john I'm not very good at explaining things but here gos

in situ means the subject is in is original position.

it hasn't been captured and handled ready for pics.

its how you found it, i its natural surroundings when you take your pics hope this helps if Ive missed anything out then hopefully someone on this forum can explain it better/

Paul 

johnc79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnc79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 5:07pm

That makes sense to me, thank you. so a 105mm macro would be good for this? what would be good for close up head shots or even froglets?

Many thanks

John

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 7:32pm

John,

I think your 350D plus 105 macro is ideal !  Post some (herp) pics on the forum when you get some .

Steve

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
johnc79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnc79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2006 at 3:59pm

Thank you, what use would a 50mm macro be for herps? also i have a SIGMA 70-300mm DG Lens with macro mode to what situations would this be good for as well with and without macro mode? Sorry about all the questions!!!Confused

Many thanks

John

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2006 at 5:19pm

John,

With the 50mm macro, you have to get closer to the subject for the same 'magnification' on the image. However, usually a shorter focal length prime is a faster lens, (allowing more light through the lens). What this means in practice is that you can use a smaller aperture when taking the picture, and the smaller the aperture, the greater the depth of field.

So you stand more chance of getting the entire subject in focus with the 50mm than with the 105mm, and could possibly use a faster shutter speed too, minimising camera shake. On the downside, you'll have to improve on your stalking technique to get closer .

The telephoto will probably be a compromise lens, almost certainly slower that the other lenses, on the other hand this may be the best lens to get pics of snakes initially, as they are VERY shy creatures, and you'll have dificulty getting close to them at first.

Hope this helps, and obviously all the above is open for comment.

Steve

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Paul Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2006 at 7:17pm

I started to observe and take pictures of native Herps last year having been into photography for a couple of years before that, Most of my pictures prior to late last year were of captive non native reptiles and this helped me to learn many of the basic things about photography before i went out trying to take pictures of native reptiles.

I have to date used a 100mm macro lens first I had the sigma 105 then I sold that and went for the canon 100 macro as I didnt liek the hunting and slow AF of the sigma 105, Now i am looking into a 180mm macro and thinking about getting the 180EX DG sigma macro and parting with the 100mm macro mainly because it allows me to be that little bit farther away and still take 1.1 macro shots this will be far better for Common lizards and will not impact much at all on adders infact it may help by not requireing being quite so close to them.

I also have a 70-200 canon L which I have a 500d close up filter for which allows me to be even more versitile and is a very very handy setup for narture shots

anyway not sure if any of that is of any help but it might be

johnc79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnc79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 2:26pm
Sigma or cannon does it matter?
lucym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2006 at 10:37am
Hello everyone, sorry not sure about that Johnc79 as im here with a question myself, im lookin to go digital at last and have my sights set on a nikon d50 as its about all i can afford for now.I would like to get a macro lens to achive some close-up shots, would it also need to be nikon or do various makes fit? any info or usefull contacts much appreciated???       &nbs p;    Lucy
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2006 at 11:15am
Hi Lucy,
There's nothing wrong with the nikon d50, you'll get some great pics with that model. It doesn't have to be Nikon lenses that you buy , sigma do some nice macro lenses in nikon fit . However , you'll probably find that the sigma lenses do not focus as fast as Nikons own .
All the best,
Alan
O-> O+>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic