the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snake Gloves, handling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 8:16am

Hi Suz, I rarely miss a grass snake under cover objects without any help.

You just need to be really sure there are no adders and do not hesitate, most grass snakes will be coiled and there is a moment whilst they sit there thinking... hmmmm who lifted the roof off my house.. by then they are in the hand  

It just comes from with confidence I guess and picking the right conditions. I would agree that sitting of kneeling for ACO capture can be very helpful. I have a technique now that where adder are likely to be around my left hand is gloved, I have a hook handy and as I lift the tin with my gloved hand the other hand is already sweeping across to grab anything whilst a scan for any stripey ones, works for me

I would highly recommend using corrugated bitumen, one more advantage over traditional tins is that you can 'roll' the object back slowly, revealing each animal in turn.

jopedder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jopedder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 8:44am
Thanks for all the advice.  I'll let you know how I get on.
*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 6:00pm

HI jonathan if your still unsure ill go with you ( once bitten  )

if your not to far away  

PAUL SMITH     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic