the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snake Gloves, handling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp_phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2006 at 1:44pm
The Adders fangs are not that long (compared to Rattlers...) so gloves
don't need to be too thick...
Reptiles & Amphibians of France:
www.herpfrance.com

European Field Herping Community:
www.euroherp.com
Dan Kane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Kane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2006 at 12:25pm
I think gardening gloves or thicker will provide enough protection from an Adder bite.
Dan

www.randacumbria.moonfruit.com
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2006 at 12:48pm

Well best of luck let us know when you end up in hospital with an adder bite - well I have had that experience an ungloved hand picking up a warm large female D'oh

I still prefer to use bare hand with snake hook

regards

Jon

Dan Kane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Kane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2006 at 12:57pm
Hard luck mate
Dan

djp_phillips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp_phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2006 at 2:09pm
well, I've been bitten many times, I still prefer NO protection,
just being 100 % natural with the snake, because belive it or not, you CAN
get a very unique feeling into the snake and make it feel calme
www.herpfrance.com

www.euroherp.com
Dan Kane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Kane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2006 at 2:54pm
With thick gloves, you can't feel how hard you're gripping the snake, and you may hurt it.
Dan

djp_phillips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp_phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2006 at 2:59pm
although without gloves it can be dangerous, i still prefer it
www.herpfrance.com

www.euroherp.com
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 1:07pm

Of course Tony tubing would only be useful if people are taking measurements etc from the animal - some people are just capturing animals to remove from threatened sites - and the quicker the better I would suppose - so the best thing is to get the animal into a secure container or bag - best way by the tail with snake hook supporting body.

People have to be careful over the tube size as adders can double back on themselves and actually get stuck!

but the method is really good and I learnt it from you tony at the Marwell meeting a few years back

Jon

photoherper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photoherper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2006 at 5:18pm
PLEASE listen to Tony Phelps.......Don't ever free handle any vemomous snake. Its stupid and it always ends up in adverse press. Personally if it wasnt for the bad press it would be really funny if all the new boys/girls on the block got a real bite to teach them that herping cannot be bought through a quick field course or meaningless letters after there names.
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2006 at 5:33pm

Excuse me,

Free handling (tailing) adders is probably the safest way to get them into a vessel such as a tube - which can cause problems if they double back on themselves and get stuck!

Bagging is another perfectly safe method - using a large butterfly net to place an adder when first captured - even using those heavy gaunlets can be used to provide a human arm  'hook' - to gently place adders back into their habitat after information has been collected on the animals.

I may only have 6 years experience of handling adders but I do feel I need to assess each catching situation on its own merits

Tubes are not always the easiest things to coax an animal into

JC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic