the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snake Gloves, handling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snake Gloves, handling
    Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 6:00pm

HI jonathan if your still unsure ill go with you ( once bitten  )

if your not to far away  

PAUL SMITH     
jopedder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jopedder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 8:44am
Thanks for all the advice.  I'll let you know how I get on.
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 8:16am

Hi Suz, I rarely miss a grass snake under cover objects without any help.

You just need to be really sure there are no adders and do not hesitate, most grass snakes will be coiled and there is a moment whilst they sit there thinking... hmmmm who lifted the roof off my house.. by then they are in the hand  

It just comes from with confidence I guess and picking the right conditions. I would agree that sitting of kneeling for ACO capture can be very helpful. I have a technique now that where adder are likely to be around my left hand is gloved, I have a hook handy and as I lift the tin with my gloved hand the other hand is already sweeping across to grab anything whilst a scan for any stripey ones, works for me

I would highly recommend using corrugated bitumen, one more advantage over traditional tins is that you can 'roll' the object back slowly, revealing each animal in turn.

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 7:46am
When you lift a tin up with adders and grass snakes under the latter will be off pretty quickly. Adders hang around or move more slowly off. A tin, or other cover, with just a grass snake under requires you to pounce pretty quickly - two person job really, one for cover holding and one to do the grabbing - and yes they do a fair bit of squirming and you will be covered in their smell. I hold them out from my body as it's easier to look at them. If you are uncomfortable holding a slow worm you might never be comfortable holding snakes. I don't touch many snakes but I've been doing it since I was a kid and it's just one of those things you get used to after a while.  Perhaps best if you were to squat or sit down with the snake so it didn't have far to go if it slithered out of your grip. Maybe dropping them doesn't do much harm but it would be kinder to have them nearer the ground if you're unsure of your grip.
Suz
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 7:41am

You want them off the ground ASP.. else they will get their heads and forebody in the undergrowth.. no choice then but to release them as trying to pull them out backwards will very likely damage them.

Best grab and lift, then let the snake coil around your hand, hold firm (not tight just enough that you have control) and after an initial thrash they will calm down. I usually do this at arms length, though I personally quite like the smell of grass snakes most people don't

A cat bite is about a million times worse than being snagged by a grassy, trust me I was once hospitalised by a cat! Grass snakes very very rarely bite in any case but it is no more than a few pin pricks that tend to bleed a bit more than you would expect, it really isn't an issue, your are much more likely to snag yourself on brambles whilst catching them than be injured by the snake.

Believe and grab, believe and grab etc

jopedder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jopedder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 7:13am

I guess the bit that I'm not looking forward too is when I've got the animal in my hands and it is struggling.  Slow worms can really freak out, and I have in my head that I'll be holding a meter long snake whipping about trying to get free.  Although, as there is no risk of tail shed with grassies then the risk of them harming themselves while they calm down must be fairly minimal. 

When you say to keep a firm hold, do you hold them against the ground when you have 'believed and grabbed' (might become a useful mantra!) or in the air, against your body? 

And one for the health and safety form - being bitten is pretty unlikely and no worse than a domestic cat bite, right?

Thanks,

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 6:52am

Bare hands, a hook would not help at all and with gloves you will likely lose any feel. Hooks are useful for controlling the head of adders and supporting the body whilst they are tailed. A grassy would most likely wrap itself around the hook.

Just believe and grab.. it works! Though grassies may struggle initially, if you keep a firm hold by the time they have skunked you they usually calm down and can be freely handled until release. If you need to catch them in any numbers.. use cover objects, it does take a long time for grass snakes to make use of them though at many sites.

If your still in doubt I'm sure someone on here would go out with you and show you how it is done.

jopedder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jopedder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 6:42am
Thanks Jon, what i'm most conserned about is distressing the animals, the grass snakes i've encountered before have always made a quick dash away from me, but i've not been interested in catching them before.  I take it that you do need to dive for them when spotted, or are encounters more usually along the adder lines, where you can sneak up on them whilst they are basking?
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 6:34am

Bare hands, or if you are surveying near bramble, nettles etc then a garden glove would be useful to prevent any stratches, cuts and stings - a long sleeved top would also help when you are diving into bramble after a large grassie!

The litter picker thingy is not worth using on british snakes - using a snake hook on a grass snake is also not necessary but of course you have to catch them first - I regularly go and search for grass snakes at my local study area by visual survey and when spotted I normally catch the animal by hand - so far I have caught 9 out of 12 spotted - two were fleeting glimpse encounters and another got into a large pond with no chance of catching -

Regards

Jon

jopedder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jopedder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 6:02am

I've read this thread with interest, and wondered what forum members would consider using (in the way of gloves, hooks or bare hands) for handling grass snakes. 

Are hooks useful for getting hold of active grass snakes, I would imagine that when disturbed they can make away at quite a pace, and getting a hook safely under them could be difficult.

I've had a look at the hooks on sale at Alana, one looks like the traditional metal hook and the other looks like one of those litter picking claws.  Has anyone used one of these?

Slightly nervously approaching a situation where I may need to handle grassies,

Jo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic