the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Native Crickets & Grasshoppers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2005 at 4:48pm

Suzi, although Oxfordshire's nice enough, i envy you living in such a beautiful part of the country as Devon. I haven't visited there for years now, but i recall whenever i did i absolutely adored it, & i've got very fond memories of it. Anyway, i don't know if your son's ever told you, or not, but in Devon you're lucky enough to have at least 20 species of orthopterans made up out of grasshoppers, ground-hoppers & crickets! Also an orthopteran, you've even got naturalised Prickly Stick-insects in a few South Devon localities! Plus!, you're close to the top two outstanding UK orthoptera sites, those being The Dorset Heathlands & The New Foreast.    

Gemma, some orthopterans are indeed meant to be good indicators of good, rich fauna & flora habitats, just as, ironically, the spread northwards of some orthopterans - especially winged ones - is an indicator of global warming. Mind you, global warming won't bother the likes of Vivip' lizards for a while yet because as you said, they love munchin' through grasshoppers & crickets wherever they land! And yes, i couldn't stress enough that the book i've previously mentioned titled, Grasshoppers & allied Insects of Great Britain & Ireland, (also covers the Channel Islands) is definately the book to go for. Key it in & see what others say, but i promise that if you then order a copy, you won't regret it for a second! It's regarded as practically the definitive bible for our orthopteroid insects. Paperback version (published 1990) costs about ú20 & its 254 pages of text, drawings, colour plates, habitat photo's & distribution maps is worth every single penny!,..certainly one of the best value for money books i've ever bought.   

Peter, around now is peak activity time for our hopping orthopterans & so i'm well chuffed to hear you're getting out there & getting well stuck in to identifying & enjoying everything about them. Hopefully you'll report anything you suspect previously unknown of at a location to your county wildlife recording scheme officer, &/or the Biological Records Centre, Cambs. I think reporting your Roesel's Bush-Cricket sighting might prove worthwhile as that's one species that's still rapidly spreading its distribution. It's fairly loud, electrical discharge sounding buzz has been turning up all over the place here in north Oxfordshire where i am!, which i'm happy with as it's one of my favourites. 

darrentshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrentshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 9:40pm

Mick,

We've got a Roesel's bush cricket near our house in Weldon, Northants. I've also found them near Fineshades Wood (also Northants). This summer we have a small colony of around 5-7 possibly grey bush crickets (or dark bush crickets) on our close. The past two years we've also had an oak bush cricket make an appearance (but not this year).

I do have photos and video of the Roesel's BC.

Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 8:20pm

Excellent stuff!, darrentshaw. Do report all these to your countys wildlife species recording scheme, won't you? The continued spread rate of Roesel's (often somehow in tandem with Long-Winged Coneheads) is amazing! Over the last few days i've been recording no end of sites along the edges of Banbury where Roesel's & L-W Coneheads (mainly none macropterous forms seen) have moved in. I've already sent all those records in to the Thames Valley Environmental Records Centre where i'll likely be name credited with those finds (my lifes only chance of claims to fame!). Those other crickets would've most likely been Dark B-C's by the way (they chirp at night) as Greys are almost strictly coastal. And as Oak's are largely just tree living (& silent to us) it wouldn't mean there's none about just because you've not spotted any this year. They're elusive alright, but they're also actually rather common. I know for a fact they've always been, & still are, here in Banbury but annoyingly i've never seen ONE here myself! You've very likely also got Speckled B-C's (silent to hear, unless within inches, or using a bat detector) about in your neck of the woods, another common but often fairly hard to spot species. I myself tend to camcord' more often than photo' stuff.

evilmike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 1:56pm

this chap was rather large

quiet friendly too

Edited by evilmike
Mike Lister BSc hons Ecology & Env management
evilmike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 1:58pm

sorry about the pic size its come out abit on the massive size

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 2:04pm

A great green bush -cricket Tettigonia viridissima ?

Jon

evilmike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 9:25am

i survey bats, the racket from these chaps is unbelieveable sometimes

you can also listen to rats and mice on them

Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 1:16pm
Yep!, that lovely big green beastie was indeed of course a Great Green Bush-cricket, & although this one was said to have been friendly they're actually able to give quite a nasty nip, & usually a bloody one! Look closely at the mandibles of one of these big beaut's & you'll see how. A few years back i watched one swiftly grab & completely polish off a Dark Bush-cricket in just 5 to 10 minutes! These - our loudest orthopteran, too, - can often easily be heard from a moving vehicle, especially in many southern near coastal vicinities where their numbers in road & roundaboutside bushes'n'hedges can be rather plentiful & create one almighty chorus together! Music to me, i love 'em! This often fairly localised though still regularly abundant cricket in many places exists through much of southern England & south Wales.    
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 3:15pm

Brother to his girlfriend "Just hold the cricket please while I take a picture of it." - Yep it bit her!

A great picture.

Suz
Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2005 at 1:55pm
It sometimes surprises some people how late into the year a few of our annual orthopterans manage to cling to life, although by november there's hardly any calling to be heard making spotting any grasshoppers & crickets by then extremely difficult. However, in a sloped, south facing tussocky patch in my back garden here in Banbury, north oxfordshire, on friday, november 9th, i still managed to spot a female Long-Winged Conehead Bush-cricket (hadn't heard, or seen any of that species in almost a month), & one female & three male Grasshoppers (think Common Field species). I usually think of Guy Fawkes night, or rather of course that day anyway, as being roughly around the last time to spot any surviving Grasshoppers. But not this year though, as even today - & following an overnight frost, too! (possibly first autumn frost here) - i was surprised to still be able to spot two female & two male Grasshoppers...on november 14th! There can't exactly be any unfinished business for them by now so they've gotta be right hardy little things to still just about cling to life like that. They could well be all gone by tomorrow, finally,...those nice, songful little reminders of summer.  Oh well,..another spring'n'summer awaits though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic