the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall Lizards at Ventnor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2006 at 2:15pm

Thanks for info Steve, shame that they're not there as it would've been worth a look.  The plan was to do some herping in the east of Hampshire then nip over to look for these.     I may have to take the boat over to the Isle of Wight and see them there.

Mark

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2006 at 8:35pm

Its certainly not necessary to catch the Wight ferry to see Wall lizards, plenty on the Bournemouth cliffs this afternoon. I guess this is why they're called 'Wall lizards' :

OK some weren't on walls

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2006 at 5:29am
Nice piccys again Steve, I'm sure they'll run away as soon as the see me.   Actually, Prattus Major(me) has lost my car + petrol cap keys so I won't be going far for a while.

Mark
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2006 at 5:32pm

With reference to the introduced Wall Lizards identification of sub-species is tricky. But a significant proportion from Bournemouth, Ventnor and Shoreham have the intense green colouration together with extensive black marking, particularly on the underside, of nigriventris. Conversely, a significant proportion of individuals appear quite typical northern animals! It is, of course, entirely possible, since some of these known introductions are quite longstanding that they have evolved into a "UK" race. A combination of genetics, trace minerals in soil etc and natural selection (ie best camouflage) would see to this. (as evidenced by local variation in Sand Lizard colonies in the UK).

So far as potential native status is concerned the only factors that really support this are the one or two colonies of unknown origin plus the fact that in the south of England they do extremely well - apparently ideally adapted to our climate. Conversely, so far as I am aware, there is no fossil record (unlike the Pool Frog and Emys) and their distribution in Europe does note readily lend itself to access to the Uk by the "normal" route across to East Anglia. But it would be a braver man than I to rule it out completely!

Finally, someone mentioned their behaviour in winter. I normally describe this as " they only have a loose grasp on the concept of hibernation".  I think, simply, because they hibernate in rock/wall crevices rather than deep within burrows or vegetation, they are better able to detect the warmth of the sun - which against a wall can be quite considerable even in the depth of winter. Certainly, taking into account a combination of wild and captive colonies, I have seen both these and Podarcis sicula up and basking on every day in the calendar year at some time or the other over the last ten years.

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic