the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BBC Radio 4 "Nature" programme

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2005 at 4:24am
I'm somewhat blurry eyed after last night's marathon adders in decline
meeting! However, one of the issues that we have agreed to tackle is
worth floating here.

I have agreed to put together a fact sheet for land managers detailing the
appropriate steps to take when undertaking management projects. I'm
hopeful that we can use this information in Kent to further our appeal for
sympathetic reptile management by conservation land managers. I
already have lots of ideas for what should be included, but would
welcome views from members of the forum over what you consider the
priorities should be.

The fact sheet will be a simple list of key-points with a short description
explaining why each is important. There may be a focus on adder, but I
prefer to keep the info broad.

Thoughts?

Edited by calumma
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2005 at 5:49am

Blurry eyed? You didn't have to drive back to Essex afterwards

• Pre-management survey for protected species

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2005 at 8:41am

Well we can only encourage you to write up your important studies - the Essex situation is little dire aswell - conservation organisations there are not willing for us to help with their management - and EN well lets not go there -

Still I have found people are more than willing for our input on their land - private landowners! - can you believe it the largest areas of land which needs our imput is actually what is owned by individuals who have private nature reserves - and farms - can you believe it farmers - yes their the ones which are often cited as the main destroyers of the countryside - well there are some keen people who own a lot of land - one such owner owns 6,000acres! and we are surveying this for reptiles

Another good set of people is the countryside ranger service at Essex County Council - I hope that in the future the EARG will have some positive news about reptiles in the wider countryside rather than the small scraps of semi natural habitat labelled as nature reserves

Regards

JC

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2005 at 5:52am

Tony the Hartland thread is still on the forums, despite a few noises from some quarters that it shouldn't be..

JC, as you know I've just set up a reptile survey at a private reserve on behalf of the EARG..I believe also that it is the way forward, where people manage with common sense not budgets.

It isn't just herp interest either, the place is teaming with rare inverts and surprise surprise there will be very little to advise regarding herps, it is already A1 diverse habitat though the survey results will be of great interest for comparisons. We hope to add another 30 acres of strategically placed Essex meadow ASAP.

Brett, Merv has been advising me for the past few years to just move on if people won't listen, don't waste time with it you'll just end up as bitter as I am. Accused of single species management simply because I wanted to safeguard an adder hibernaculum. Still they can always restock with animals moved by consultants can't they

As far as the widespread species are concerned, we can look to the wider countryside and away from gardened 'reserves' where money and the public are the primary importance. Still, in the process don't discount everything, there are some very good wardens out there, just avoid the hierarchy would be my advice.

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2005 at 7:28am

Gemma,

thanks for linking the Hartland thread. This was before I had found this forum so it was all new to me.

I am some distance from Purbeck, and although the Hartland saga was before my time here....I still had to go and have a ciggie to compose the anger and fustration I felt.

Fortunately, many of the prime sites we have in Surrey are MoD owned, and I am thankful that I have not had to personally endure what Tony has been through.

There are some of us on this forum who do not rely upon any funding lines initiated by EN, and although we may lack some credibility by not being 'professionals' in the field, we are professionals in other fields. If there is anything tangible I or like-minded sympathisers can do to help alleviate this kind of issue (and maybe comming from a different professional background maybe present a more objective veneer), PLEASE let me know.

My initial thoughts are to develop a strategy for dealing with this kind of incident, what evidence should be collected?, preventative action plans (demonstrating that perpetrators were advised before hand etc), what actions should be taken. Such a strategy is bound to fail initially, but at least it could provide a framework which could be delevoped as to what was/wasn't effective and how the approach could be improved upon next time.....

Of course, this is all too late for those animals which have already suffered, but surely the point is to try to minimise repeats ?

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2005 at 4:56am

Tony you have my total sympathy. I might not have known individuals for the many years you have followed them but I feel the total frustration when I see an area destroyed and I can picture exactly where all the individual snakes I've recorded were when it happened or their plight when they emerge from hibernation and all the familiar cover is gone. There is something about working with adder, and that is you just canĘt help getting to know them..

There is a huge frustration when you stand on one side with simple compassion for the animals you study backed by survey data and the other side is some ar***** behind a desk coming out with generic arguments and anecdotal comments whilst the snakes habitat is destroyed for eternity.

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2005 at 5:22am

Tony,

I'm sorry to hear you're leaving here. From what I've read I don't think you're eccentric because when you take the time to 'get to know' a group of reptiles, their constant struggle for life and survival even when you know the cards are stacked against them implores you to join in their fight. I know how you feel though. EN is useless. Sorry, no other words cover it really. And like you say, at least your records will one day be judged in a historical context and thats still very important. Good luck in SA. R

RobV
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2005 at 5:47am

Steve,

KRAG is currently looking into building a dossier of case studies. Perhaps this will be taken up further.

I have a lovely one for Essex, I would publish the emails I received from someone at the NT regarding a report I wrote after voluntarily surveying of a local 'wildlife reserve' ... but for some reason I never heard back from him when I asked if his comments were carefully thought out and suitable for public publication.

A number of nature conservation organisations believe they are exempt from the WCA and can ignore protected species legislation. Their interpretations of the wording are creative to say the least. The bottom line is there needs to be a prosecution to make them listen. One excuse is they cannot afford to carry out pre-management surveys, well wake up people you can't afford to carry out the project and comply with the law in that case.

It appears to be a recurring theme in UK nature conservation that so called conservationists destroy habitat of rarer species whilst trying to improve it for something else they may never have on the site

calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2005 at 7:41am
Regarding the KRAG dossier, if anybody would like to suggest the type of
information that should be collected it would be helpful while we try to
develop the system.

The basic idea is to have a database that stores accounts of bad and good
practice. This can be anything from unsympathetic management,
persecution, poor mitigation, uncontrolled development etc. It is also
important that good practice is recorded and organisations are given
credit where it is due.

My idea is to have a simple recording card that allows information to be
summarised in a consistent manner (and stored on the db). There will
probably also be folders with other relevant material (letters, maps,
photos etc).
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2005 at 5:50pm
################
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic