the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eyeless froglet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eyeless froglet
    Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 10:50pm
Hi, I originally posted this in a different section but thought I should put it here too.

My daughter and I collected some frogspawn from a friend's pond about 7-8 weeks ago so she could watch it develop. All but two of the tiny frogs have been released back to the pond as soon as the tail disappeared and we are left with one tadpole still undergoing the change and one tiny froglet who appears to have no eyes. I could never see his eyes as a tadpole either, although I could with all the others. I just thought he had really small eyes or something and maybe he does but I still can't see them, not even a dimple in the skin.

So... should I release the little guy back into the pond or try to keep him a bit longer in case his eyes will develop later? I don't want him to starve to death and I don't know what to feed a miniature frog but I don't want to release him to become an easy target for predators either.

I know common frogs don't make good pets but I don't mind setting up a permanent residence for him if it's his best chance at a happy life. Any suggestions welcome.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic