the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

editing and photos pixels??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: editing and photos pixels??
    Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 11:38am
Hi Chris there seems to be a prob with photo pixel up loads as getting distortion from low 50kb only pixels up load as it was always 500max pixels   and also editing seems to be amiss ??? regards keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 6:17pm

Hi Keith

Hmmm .... I'll look into that this evening and see what I can do. Hopefully summat I've done wrong in the new forum settings!

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:30pm
Hi Keith
Yes, it seems to be me!! I have changed the photo upload size to 500kb. Unfortunately I hadn't noticed that your permissions appear to have suffered - thus the inability to edit!

Anyone else reading this, if you are unable to edit, post or have other problems please contact me either here or on admin@herpetofauna.co.uk and I will correct them.

Chris

AndyS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:39pm
Hi Chris, No problems yet!! and just to say a big thankyou to you and "your" team for getting the site back upThumbs UpCool
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 10:06pm
CHRIS ARE WE LIMITED ON PHOTOS AS I KEEP GETTING YOUVE USED UP YOUR 20 MB COMING UP KEITH
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 10:47pm

Hi Keith

I'm blowed if I know - I'll plough through the settings again and see if I can suss it out

Chris

Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 10:51pm

Well, that was quick and easy.

The default setting was 20Mb and I have now increased it. I shall have to watch server space. If it becomes an issue I will have to rethink one way or t'other

Chris

Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 11:13pm

Hi everyone

On the subject of photos, please remember that we are limited on how many we can store on the website.

In order to help, because I do not want to impose artificial limits OR to have to try to select older photos to take down, you can ensure that you keep photos to a manageable size using the following steps. Almost all of these can be done with the free photo software which comes with cameras. You can also search on the Internet for and download and install either Paint.net or The Gimp both of which will do all of these and much, much more.

1) Remember, plenty of people still use a relatively low resolution on their monitors as a result of which a picture wider than 1024 pixels is actually an irritant. So, please either:-

a) resize the photo to maximum width of 1024 pixels OR

b) select just the relevant part of the photo and save it as a new image

2) Compress the photo to some extent. When saving as a JPEG, somewhere will be an option to select the degree of compression. In my experience 40% compression leads to no apparent loss of definition to the human (well, mine anyway) eye.

As an example, the picture below of a female green lizard digging her nesting burrow in Jersey a couple of weeks ago started at 3072x2048px and 3.5Mb (which couldn't have been uploaded anyway). Selecting just part of the picture and saving with 40% compression reduced this to 115kb. I know the quality isn't great but that is actually down to a very nervous lizard leading to a very long lens in a very strong wind - not the compression process.

I appreciate that some photos are of such high quality and recording importance that all of the above might well be inadvisable - but not may of us can manage that! Of course, those of you who have an online photo album can simply post your pictures there and then insert a link to the image in your post.

Any or all of the above steps can help keeping the server load - and thus the expense down.

All the best

Chris

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 7:20am
Cheers Chris ,keith
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic