the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

East Devon turtles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: East Devon turtles
    Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 10:51pm
Not sure if any of you have seen this:

http://www.sidmouthherald.co.uk/news/warning_about_releasing_unwanted_pets_at_bystock_pools_1_4343902

This was a nice nature reserve for a few years. It was run, maybe still is, by the Devon Wildlife Trust. Dogs were banned, which made it more pleasant in every way. Sure there were still a few who broke the rule, but the lovely meadows could be enjoyed for the flowers and butterflies, and the heathland for reptiles. Grazing by ponies could be a bit awkward if you met them in a confined space, but they seem to be a preferred management tool on many heathland spots now.
Then the dog ban was lifted and I don't visit any more - too many off the lead rampaging animals and having to watch where you step.
The pool where these turtles are is a wonderful place for dragon and damselflies.
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 8:11am
I might have made a clanger here calling them turtles, as the article calls them terrapins. I've looked up the difference, but I'm still not quite clear. 
Suz
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 6:18pm
If you're an American Turtle=Terrapin which frequently = Tortoise

Generally with us Turtles are mainly marine and have flippers, while terrapins have ordinary (albeit sometimes webbed) feet and are generally far more amphibious and are generally carnivorous. Tortoises are land living and generally vegetarian! (actually both are omnivorous but lean heavily one way or t'other. Generally speaking, as you might expect of water dwellers, terrapins have much flatter shells than tortoises.

Having said which - everything has exceptions - these are general rules! For example, the Americans have Box Turtles which are as aquatic and carnivorous as most terrapins but shaped like tortoises. Also, the animal in the article picture, which we would call a red-eared terrapin, the Americans call a red-eared slider. Confused now? Don't worry, we all are!

I tend to solve the entire problem by referring to all of them as crusty meat pies - but, that's my sense of humour for you!
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 11:29pm
Thanks for clearing that up ChrisConfused !
Suz
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 12:02am
I just knew you'd be pleased!  Ermm

Happy Xmas

xx
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic