the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Great Crested Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Early arrival

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early arrival
    Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 2:19pm
Tonight I saw a male GCN in my garden pond... the first time I've seen one before Christmas. Very mild temperatures for the last week with a minimum of 11C may have influenced this.
Get your torches charged!
Julia
Huddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 11:08am
Hi all , I too have got GCN males back in the pond up in Cumbria , no other species of triturus seen yet though.
Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 3:10am
We had GCN eggs in a pond at New Romney, Kent, on 26 December 2008. They will have had a tough time with the weather since then.
BB
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 6:27am

How often have surveys been undertaken during December to see if this is a recent occurence or has this been occurring anyway we just haven't been looking.....

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 7:13am

I suspect it has been going on for some time in south Kent . In the past 10 years I have heard of eggs at the same site on 1st January, and 11 years ago I used to get GCN's in the garden of our old property in Hawkhurst in late November/early December.

We don't have GCN's in the current garden pond, but smooths regularly start turning up in November - usually males. Ironically, despite the GCN eggs, my impression is that it has been a late season this year.

Newts seem to start and finish breeding very early on Romney Marsh, conspicuously earlier than newts further inland in the county but it is not something I have ever set out to quantify. Certainly at Dungeness,  in 2005 I had my highest count of GCN's for the year on 29 January!

BB
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 12:17pm
Back in the 80's in London my garden pond had male GCN in full breeding dress in early Jan; first eggs usually appeared in late Jan.  So I guess this has been going on for a couple of decades at least.  However the main cohort of adults - especially females - did not tend to arrive til a more traditional early to mid March.
kevinb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2009 at 4:07am
A friend of mine contacted me today to say that Smooth,Palmate and GCN were back in his pond and that the GCN males were half crested already.
kevinb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2009 at 7:14pm
Just received a text from friend  to say the GCN are busy with their courtship displays
Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2009 at 7:25pm

Kevinb,

Roughly speaking is the pond on the south coast, the west coast, or more inland?

BB
kevinb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2009 at 5:43am
In Gloucester
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic