the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Digital Image storage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Digital Image storage
    Posted: 20 Aug 2005 at 11:49am
This new forum is an excellent idea, Gemma, I have already learned a lot.

In the previous very enlightening thread, Lee and others have convinced me of the wisdom of shooting RAW rather than JPEG, as I have done until now.

Next question: does anyone have any recommendations for storing the vast number of enormous RAW image files that accumulate during longer field trips (I am off to Papua New Guinea in a few weeks, so this is of immediate applied interest )? With 2GB and 4GB Compact Flash Cards going into three figure prices, I am looking at buying one of the various Multimedia portable storage devices. Any recommendations?

Presumably most of these portable digital media storage devices then don't actually allow you to view the RAW image, correct?

Cheers,

Wolfgang

(in case it's relevant, I use an EOS 300D)

Edited by Wolfgang Wuster
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Jeroen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeroen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2005 at 12:20pm

Vosonic Xs Drive IIPlus 40GB, 149 euro at

http://www.topfoto-online.de/

Viewing not possible at that price...

Edited by Jeroen
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2005 at 3:45pm

There are drives that let you view RAW from the 300D, but your looking at ú400 ..

Jobo Giga Vu Pro 40GB Hard Drive

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2005 at 7:10am
Agree with Wolfgang , excellent idea this forum. I too have learnt alot from Lee's Raw posts.

My Friend Frank was always saying to me ,"Alan, you must shoot in Raw " , and now the reasons why have been clearly explained by Lee , thanks mate
O-> O+>
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2005 at 1:27pm
I'm prob not really the best person to answer this as I don't use a image storage device. If I don't have enough CF cards for the job I'll take a laptop with me and use that.

As a rule, storage devices WITH screens (most will allow you to review RAW files too) cost around ú50 more than their screenless counterparts. There was a review of some recently in EOS magazine, I'll dig it out later and let you know what it said.

That aside, the other problem is archiving so many images. Recently, we're just buying LaCie 250Gb external hard drives off ebuyer.com for just under ú100 a pop. That's 40p per Gb (I remember when hard disks cost more than that per Mb!), which we reckon is cracking value to have an archive that's so quick and easy to access. We then keep secondary backups on DVD. These are just a failsafe in case of HD failure. I only archive RAW files unless it's an image I've spent ages playing with in Photoshop, in which case I'll save the PSD. Raw files DO need re-converting though for further use. On the up-side, they're only about a third the size of a 16bit Tiff so are very space efficient.

Lee.
Lee Fairclough
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic