the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Developing tadpoles detached from spawn... dead?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Developing tadpoles detached from spawn... dead?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WelshAtHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Developing tadpoles detached from spawn... dead?
    Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:58am
My dad moved the pond several weeks ago, and since there was frogspawn in it we had to fish it out to save it.

Now, I have two newt tadpoles, and a load of frogspawn, most of which isn't even attached to jelly anymore. Just little black balls/ovals and some that look like partially developed tadpoles lying at the bottom of the tank they're in, with no jelly surrounding them. The pond was neglected before it was moved, and some of the frogspawn didn't look fertilised when I lifted it out. 

Any suggestions?
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:50pm
It may be the ones just lying at the bottom only just hatched. Give them time and see if they start wriggling, perhaps by now 8 hours on some already are? They do that when they hatch, just drop to the bottom and stay there for quite some time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic