the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Great Crested Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cresties and resevoirs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cresties and resevoirs
    Posted: 02 May 2006 at 8:48am

Hi all,

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the likelyhood of cresties using large resevoirs. Ive never been asked to look at a resevoir for them before and having looked at other ones most are pritty sparsely vegetated at the edges, and probably not suitable. The one in question has some suitable egg laying material in very sporadic small patches and does have toads spawning there, but has a deep shelf in it and becomes deep and open very fast.

Also reptiles (i know wrong area) on uplands, not heathy uplands but short sheep grazed and juncusy ones. Would reptiles be likely to still be inactive in these more inhospitable areas or just unlikely to be there at all. The habitat i would have said is sub optimal at best and the wind up there means nothing stays warm very long (tins signs wood etc)

Any thoughts appreciated.

Many thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic