the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Countdown to Extinction?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Countdown to Extinction?
    Posted: 29 Dec 2005 at 6:03pm

OK, so it is off-topic but whilst our herps are quietly tucked away some of us may want to give this some thought/discussion:

Countdown to extinction?

On 15th December 2005 the British Government announced a twelve week 'public consultation period' to consider whether and how to kill badgers.

Many people consider that this consultation is a sham to soften our
response to what has already been decided - a mass slaughter of a
æprotectedÆ native wildlife species.

Leading organisations including the RSPCA and the Wildlife Trusts
have already voiced their opposition, but only a massive public response can prevent the killing.

Just a few moments of your time can make a difference

Please visit www.stopthecull.info for more information.

It would also be helpful if you would encourage everyone you know to support the badgers at this critical time.
Please forward this e-mail to anyone who may care enough to help.

On behalf of Britain's badgers - thank you

Roger Driver, Cornwall Badger Group

egroup: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/peninsulabadgers/

If you have an email list perhaps you can pass the message on?

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2005 at 6:18pm

Gemma,

I have been following the badger/TB problem for some time and guessed that killing would win eventually. Badgers are in my garden most nights and many dozen live within the town here in East Devon. How do they propose getting rid of these urban ones?

We are in a very dense badger population area here in the south west and it will be difficult I should imagine to "empty" an area without others moving in to fill the void created.

I think the government have already made their mind up to go ahead so this is just flannel.

Suz
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2006 at 5:04am
Gemma, thanks for this info I wasn't aware that this was going on. I did sign myself and forward to all the people that I know
O-> O+>
Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2006 at 11:40am
As far as i'm concerned, after all these years, the government are yet STILL piddling in the wind with this one! I just wont buy it until we all see absolute, clear, conclusive proof that poor Badgers are the cause.
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2006 at 9:28am
Don't the Badgers get Bovine TB of the cattle in the first place then spread it as they move about?

Mark
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2006 at 1:02pm
Now, now - use your common sense - surely it is obvious that the guilty party for spreading bovine TB can only be the badgers, which can move several miles in a night. Couldn't possibly have anything to do with farmers trucking animals from one end of the country to the other on a daily basis (in between complaining about fuel prices, natch), could it now? Perhaps we should blame badgers for foot-and-mouth as well, while we are at it...

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Morpheus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2006 at 4:55am
Wouldnt removing badgers from the wild mess up the food chain or something i dont know much about them but something bad would probably come from this
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic