the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Common Lizards 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 9:59pm
extension rings with a 60mm macro should get you very close Smile. look forward to seeing the results.

tom
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 10:06pm
btw i have had some very good results using on camera flash and one of these diffusers 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flash-Diffuser-Reflector-Collapsible-Speedlite-Soft-Light-Studio-for-DSLR-Camera-/400525135023?pt=UK_Photography_Flash_Diffusers&hash=item5d41288caf

i also like the look of these though

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/4279905744670130929?client=safari&rls=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=flash+light+bender&oq=flash+light+bender&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.62788935,d.d2k,pv.xjs.s.en_US.UTNq5j5_43M.O&biw=2559&bih=1320&tch=1&ech=1&psi=99kgU8G-DYOO0AXO2YH4Cw.1394661897106.5&ei=FdogU4nBNaOt0QXB7IC4Cw&ved=0COMBEKYrMA0

or maybe use them both together

tom

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 8:22am
Thanks Tim, thinking behind the extension rings was too fold, close is never close enough but also for action shots I'm hoping I can get useable stuff from further away. Once I'm set-up in front of the log piles there are often several things going on, so switching between a nice close-up of one individual quickly to an action shot of another was part of the plan!

Thanks for the links Thumbs Up
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 9:08am
Here's one from yesterday, tried to be a bit arty, which seemed to work as it's the first picture I've had put in someones favourites on Flickr! 

Posting though to show where I think the lizards hibernate. These deep fissures seem to go right to the center of the logs, and this is where i see the animals first emerging from. They hang about the entrances like this for a day or two, then start to go further afield. Often returning to the same log in the evenings.

Edited by GemmaJF - 13 Mar 2014 at 9:17am
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 1:41pm
One from today, I've always been intrigued by this behaviour, of lifting feet whilst basking on warmer days. I've seen them lift both front feet, hind feet, combinations, and even attempts at all four at once. I've never understood why they do it, though assume it is to do with thermoregulation:

First time I've tried out the tripod and very pleased with the result, shot with the 18-55mm at full zoom.

Also tried the extenders, quickly realised I had totally misunderstood how they might work having never used them before! I'll be trying those out on another day when I understand them better.

But it gives me a question. 

The 55 mm doesn't quite get me close enough with a tripod, the macro is very good when I've the time to set-up and get very very close, often waiting for hours on end to get the shot. 

What I really need is a lens that will get me better zoom than the 55 mm but I don't have to be all that close so I can catch some of the action that goes on. Any thoughts? I can come up with some numbers of just  how far away I'm talking about if needed. I'm keen on canon EF-S but will look into any suggestions. Smile

Edited by GemmaJF - 17 Mar 2014 at 1:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 8:05pm
great behaviour shot.

the macro @ 60mm will still get you closer than the 18-55mmm and should be sharper being a prime lens. 

i use nikon so don't know enough about canon to be of much help. if you think zoom is necessary though i do know thew tamron 70-300mm vc has an excellent reputation and is sharper at 300mm than the nikon equivalent that i own but hardly ever use. 

other than that most prime lenses are very sharp but expensive. my tamron 180mm macro gives me enough working distance for most subjects. there's also the excellent sigma 150mm macro. 

i tend to buy lenses second hand because they hold their value. i will always be able to sell them on for pretty much what i paid for them if i need to. i use that as rationalisation for buying them really because if you think about it i haven't really spent anything on them ErmmWackoWink

canon do a 70-200mm in their pro series which i imagine would be excellent quality but don't know. 

i think you are looking anywhere in the 100-300mm range though. 

will should have an idea how much working distance the 105 gives. 

there's really no substitute for getting as close as you can either by stealth or more telephoto.

tim

Edited by Tom Omlette - 17 Mar 2014 at 8:09pm
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 8:33pm
Cheers Tim, I did notice today that I seemed 'closer' through the view finder with the 60 mm than the zoom lens, I get it now! Had never really noticed but with the tripod being a fixed point, it became clear to me that was the case!

The canon 70-200mm does look a bit tempting, pricey though. Been wondering about getting into photographing other wildlife, so could be one to add to my 'wish list'.

The EF-S 55-250mm seems quite affordable and has image stabilization, so could be the budget option. Decisions decisions, need to read up more on your other suggestions!

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 2:24pm
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 7:55pm
It just struck me after Richard mentioned how well the browns in some of the lizards matched a rusting wheel rim, just how well this male merges in with an aged sawn willow log. Perhaps there really is a bit of selection going on in the wildlife garden! 

Edited by GemmaJF - 24 Mar 2014 at 7:56pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 8:34pm
hi gemma

i don't know enough about the lens to say really apart from it seems to get good reviews especially in terms of value for money. i've had a quick search around the canon vs tamron 70-300mm vc which gets excellent reviews and is considered a semi pro lens. however, mixed thoughts on this and quite a few people advising to go with the canon so i don't know. a second hand tamron would be over £200 so more expensive as well e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamron-70-300mm-f4-5-6-SP-Di-VC-USD-Lens-Canon-Fit-/221396448145?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item338c41b391

i have a nikon 70-300mm zoom but barely ever use it because i think i get better results from a 180mm fixed prime even if i'm a bit further away, although i can usually get as close as i need to with a 180mm. 

buying lenses second hand works for me because they hold their value. if you buy the 55-250mm then decide you want to upgrade just sell it for what you paid for it and away you go. that makes it a bit of a no-brainer really i suppose cos you've really got nothing to lose.

another cracking shot btw. are you still at 800 iso? conditions look bright enough for you to risk coming down a bit i reckon. 

cheers 

tim

Edited by Tom Omlette - 24 Mar 2014 at 8:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic