the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Common Lizard "soft spot".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 11:15am
I like that Kieth, so mine in the garden are garden lizards, the ones at the side of the road are verge lizards and the ones up the fields are hedgerow lizards. Suits me! Wink

In all seriousness though as we only have to differentiate them from Sand Lizards, Common lizard works for me pretty well.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 1:10pm

personally I’d go for 'viviparous lizard' – I know it’s a bit of a mouthful but it does emphasise their key to success even inside the Arctic Circle, hardy little things that they are!

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 1:13pm
lacerta vulgaris lacerta vergious lacerta gardeneri lacerta excetra. sounds great to me Gemma keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 1:57pm
Noo Kieth in needs to be Zootoca vulgaris, Zootoca vergious etc LOL

The trouble with viviparous is most people don't know what it means so it is does not convey much as a 'common' n ame, few people will have seen thingy lizards giving birth any way.

It's an argument I've heard before, even to the point where more than once people have said 'shouldn't you call them viviparous lizards?'. Well no I shouldn't, I call common frogs, common frogs, smooth newts, smooth newts and common lizards, well common lizards. It is what I'm use to that is all. 

Not sure the Common or Northern Viper doesn't apply to adder? I'm sure I've seen both in some of the old literature before.

Personally the way things are if we are going to change anything I think common frog should become 

'not really that common anymore in the wider countryside frog'. 

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Around here common lizards are rather common in apparently inhospitable farmland! 

ok. maybe a regional difference then? all i know is ive walked thousands of acres of farmland in the SW and beyond and rarely see them. never seen an adder on a farm. not saying they never occur!

on the other hand - and happily - judging by what ive seen, frogs still deserve the title "Common" in the countryside hereabouts.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 3:10pm
OK ben I'll change it to:

'not really that common anymore in the wider countryside, around here, frog' Wink

I wonder if Chris can update the ID page to reflect the new name!

Common lizards are pretty common in Essex. It's a good thing and don't know why it should be so, but they are around, even at farms, along roadsides and even in my garden. Adders are very localised though, which has a lot to do with soil type. Most of the farmland is clay and I think too wet and slow to warm in the spring for adder.

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 4:58pm

Well I can’t help it if the great British public is scientifically illiterate Gemma!LOL  While we’re on the subject, surely someone can come up with something better than ‘slowworm’ for these living strands of liquid metal?!

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 5:18pm
I know Will, how about 

'the not Common but locally abundant in places legless lizard worm thing

.. OK I'll go now Wink
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 6:05pm
Gemma I think you know that I will never use the zootoca name as I was brought up on the lac viv name and its a bit to late in the day for me to change from a life long usage + its a bit to pro euro and Dutch sounding for my liking and political views keith

Edited by AGILIS - 09 Mar 2013 at 6:10pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 6:46pm
Blimey Keith didn't know we had to watch our political leanings as well!
Slow worms used to be called blind worms once, although I've never heard anyone call them that.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic