the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

common lizard digging.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green_toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: common lizard digging.
    Posted: 03 May 2004 at 12:00pm
I observed a male common lizard, about 10 cm long, digging into the soil in my front garden yesterday.  I was wandering if anyone knew why it was doing this?  It was about 1pm & the garden is west facing, therefore it was reasonable hot.  Could it have been digging to try and cool down?
LizardLover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LizardLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 3:41pm

I dont know why but you reminded me of the David Attenbourgh life in cold blood TV series that was on when you said that!

I just had a thought,It might be crazy,i might be on to something,i dont know,but if you have seen proof common lizards dig holes, then just like the pygmy blue tounge skink, perhaps the common lizards here would like an empty trap door spider burrow too!, it would be great if we could replecate that for them, or even use the spiders for that reason, as if you saw the TV series, thats why the pygmy blue tounge skink was surviving bush fires!,it made me wish we could do something like that here for the common lizards in threat near fire areas!

Let me know anyone if you think something like that could be possible?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic