the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

collecting spawn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: collecting spawn
    Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 10:40am
it could be illegall so thought id ask,my local woods has common frogs,common toads & great crested newts,so when the frogs spawn could i get some spawn and bring it back in the garden. i could put like a shallow (or deep) bucket in the ground with water and put them in there,we will have a small rockery next to it,would the frogs survive in this,id try to keep it as undistubred and possible.

p.s do GCN give birth to live or spawn to,i could get those to.
im enoyed there is no slow-worms there :(
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 4:17pm
I'd leave well alone because you could end up doing more harm than good.   This could be especially true if the local populations are quite small.

If Reptiles and Amphibians don't appear in your garden that often, you should accept it - taking animals/spawn etc from the wild is not the solution.  

As for GCN's I think you should take a good look at the law concerning that species.

Mark

Edited by arvensis
james4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 10:44am
reptiles dont appear in my garden as none are in my area,but frogs are abundant,we seen 2 in 1 month last year and wasnt looking.
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2007 at 3:09am
Originally posted by james4 james4 wrote:

reptiles dont appear in my garden as none are in my area,but frogs are abundant,we seen 2 in 1 month last year and wasnt looking.

then the best idea would be to make the pond and let the frogs in your garden inhabit it themselves.
you would gain more satisfaction from the spawn being laid there naturally rather than put there from somewhere else.

i also dug a pond last year and thought nothing would ever live in it, since i had only ever seen one frog in the garden prior to that.
however, at times i have seen upto 7-8 frogs in there at a time.
i currently have a pair that are mating and hope to see spawn soon.
james4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2007 at 2:45pm
brill,well done,ill do that then.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic