the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BUILDING WITHIN 10 METRES OF GCN PonD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gra_Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BUILDING WITHIN 10 METRES OF GCN PonD
    Posted: 07 Dec 2005 at 3:23pm

Hi each

Plans have been deposited at my Local Authority by a National Developer for building works within 15 metres and gardens within 10 metres of a known / recent ecological surveyed pond containing a thriving population of GCNs.

Anyone out there know anybody who has been successful in getting such development to be re-sited at a greater minimum distance from a GCN Pond?    

The site is in Flintshire, N Wales ... further information provided if required.  

I am willing to pay for assistance in putting a case to the Planners to not approve development so close to the GCN Pond.

Thanks

Graham       

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2005 at 6:20pm

The Local Authority cannot determine the application without first recieving an ecological survey of the development - See the current English Nature Crested Newt Mitigation Guidelines - the applicant has to show that the development is not deterimental to the newt population - by providing detailed ecological information and how the development will be designed to prevent any conservation loss and how any impact will be mitigated

Otherwise they should refuse the application or defer for the required surveys to be undertaken over the spring months....

I am sure other people would add other items to consider

JC

Gra_Hal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gra_Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2005 at 3:26pm

JC ... thanks

The WDA commissioned an ecological survey before sale of the land to the Developer.  The current Plans deposited with the LA are not in accord with the Eco Report Recommendations re closeness of building to the Pond etc.

From my research there does not appear to be any laid down definitive minimum distance to a proven GCN Pond that building must not occur  Tons of words about not affecting future population No's / habitat etc but at the end of the day words without `measures`  are open to (mis) interpretation. 

If you `can't measure it you can't manage it` and by the time there is a realisation that the GCN population has dwindled it is too late.     

If the development goes ahead as planned with loss of valuable GCN foraging ground it will prove that LA Planners need more definitive statements in the `English Nature Guidance on GCN Mitigation`.

I feel a letter to my Local Paper coming on.        

Thanks

Graham

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic