the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blacklisted snake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blacklisted snake
    Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 7:42pm
Hello folks,

Did you see that at no. 9 on a recently-published top ten of most serious invasive species threats to Europe is a herp - the common kingsnake Lampropeltis getula?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2079277-animal-invaders-on-europes-kill-list-are-set-to-be-wiped-out/

Ben
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 10:46am
I'm a bit surprised that they thought that would be the (potentially) most invasive snake- my money would have been on Elaphe schrenckii, which is already established in the Netherlands.

It turns out that there's a big invasive population of albino kingsnakes on Gran Canaria, though:

liamrussell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liamrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 12:05pm
The kingsnakes are a serious threat to the endemic lizards on Gran Canaria. I assume they are listed as they have the potential to cause the the extinction of a european species, whereas most other introduced herps don't. If the introduction was on mainland Europe I doubt they would be considered so much of a threat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic