the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BBC2, 16th novo 8-9pm EagleOwls/Adders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BBC2, 16th novo 8-9pm EagleOwls/Adders
    Posted: 16 Nov 2005 at 8:49am
Following this evenings Natural World, on at 8pm, about Eagle Owls (sounds great!) there's then a 10minute programme on at 8.50 called New Forest Adders (sounds even greater!). Think it's with Mr Oddie & might also include other of the forests reptiles besides Adders. And..neither programmes are repeats!, so, happy viewing! I'll certainly be watchin'.
Paul Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2005 at 4:18pm
I just wish it had been longer and had more substance to it
*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2005 at 7:07pm

i agree with you there M 1 hour on each specie's on each of the six reptiles mentioned would be nice

paul

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2005 at 11:28pm

I managed to catch it on video, some nice footage of the Adders 'dancing', and of the female Adder 'underground', but I thought the other species footage wasn't exceptional.

I didn't recognise anybody in the credits, which surprised me.

Didn't think Mr Oddie's narration was particularly enthusiastic, but all in all a nice 10-minute intoduction to reptiles for the general public, I thought.

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2005 at 6:57am
Shame BBC Wales wrecked my evening by broadcasting some astonishingly trivial and boring local sporting programme instead....

Edited by Wolfgang Wuster
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2005 at 7:38am

Wolfgang,

If I can work out how to transfer vid to MPEG I'll fire you a copy over t'interweb  

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2005 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Vicar Vicar wrote:

Wolfgang,

If I can work out how to transfer vid to MPEG I'll fire you a copy over t'interweb

That would be great, cheers!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2005 at 2:15pm

if that doesn't work i got it on VHS i can post it to you

paul

Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2005 at 5:12pm

I too wish it had covered the forests other reptiles more but the programme was titled New Forest Adders & also you can't expect much to get covered in just a ten minute film. Personally i thought it was a neat, beautifully shot little film in what's clearly a stunningly beautiful forest. And yeh, i'd adore a series of six, one hour long programmes with each one dedicated to each of our six native reptiles but i'd say an hours duration for each is wishful thinking, let alone the chance of such a series happening anyway. Also, i thought Mr Oddie was fine & i was just grateful it wasn't instead Simon 'ooh, look at the big birdy'n'pussycat' King! 

As for Eagle Owls...that was a great programme & i go with the arguement they were once native here & they should be welcome to stay here but with their impacts simply kept well monitored as their numbers increase. 

All in all..great viewing..for the BBC!

Edited by Mick
jopedder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jopedder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2005 at 9:16am
I've saw one of these 10 minute slots (which covered a Scottish Otter and her 2 cubs) and later have seen the same footage as part of another, longer programme with a different focus. It may well be that the 10 minute series' are all making good use of the Beebs spare footage from the years recording and so we may well see a longer programme from the same photographer soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic