the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

baby smooth snake eats grasshopper?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: baby smooth snake eats grasshopper?
    Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 5:32pm
Hi All

last weekend I found a neo smooth snake on top of a tin, exposed to any predator which cared to look.  I thought initially that it was dead, as it was so exposed and also its head was down and hidden by a coil of its body.  Also on top of the tin, around 20cm away, was a dead grasshopper which was covered in slime.  I think it was probably regurgitated by the smooth snake, but whether this was because it tasted bad, or the snake mistook it for a small lizard, or the snake needed to empty its gut with the likely onset of colder weather, I can't say.  Does anyone know of definite records of smooth snake eating insects?  I assumed it was 100% vertebrate, even for neo's..

Cheers

Will

Photo of snake plus grasshopper:

smooth snake afterwards, seemingly OK:

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 5:39pm
Well copt Will glad to see someone is up and about in my favorite areas and reporting into our quiet site about things ,lets hope it gets enough grub before the big sleep sets in ps where was it? Keith

Edited by AGILIS - 13 Oct 2013 at 5:42pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 6:54am
Hi Keith - Stoborough area, Purbeck.  Reckon that'll be it for the year, if yesterday's abysmal weather is anything to go by...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic