the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are sloworms related to skinks?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vickie Lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are sloworms related to skinks?
    Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 3:31pm

I have been keeping some sloworms for my children to study, during this time we have found that they seem very similar to my pink tongued skink.

I have heard that sloworms are actualy legless lizards, and on some individuals, we can see the remainder of leg buds. I was also wondering if anyone keeps glass lizards, which I believe to be related too.

Its always better to ask for forgiveness after, than ask for permission before!!!
james4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2007 at 1:23pm
good question,i don know if they are related but cerainly the same as glass lizards.
http://ukreptiles.proboards55.com
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2007 at 2:00pm
Hi Vickie.
I'm no expert on this subject and have often pondered the same.
Looking at snake eyed skinks in Turkey I thought, "Is this a slow worm with tiny legs?"
O-> O+>
st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2007 at 5:04pm
I remember coming across a Glass Lizard nearly 20 years ago in Corfu and it gave me quite a shock.  It looked like a Slow Worm that had been genetically modified by an evil Scientist and grown to about 3.5 feet long.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic