the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alpine Newt in Surrey?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PondDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 8:41am
Photos look fine for Alpine Newt to me. Not sure about the larva. They aren't closely related to any of our native newts, so hybridisation isn't going to be an issue.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 9:25am
+1 for alpine newt both the adult and larva (larvae typically have this greyish appearance and more blotched pattern than smooth or palmate).  You're not far from known populations of alpine newt eg Newdigate in Surrey.  Well worth letting SARG know, as has been said. 
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 12:23pm
Another difference with alpine larvae is that their tail fin is much blunter than smooth/palmate larvae; more of sudden ending with alpines versus a gradual tapering with smooth/palmate. So another vote for alpine from me.

The main worry with alpines in the UK is that they can be an asymptomatic carrier of chytrid.
MTem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 4:52pm
Thanks All,

Reported to SARG and it seems most likely it/they came from Beam Brook (about a mile north along the lane) back in the 30's when it was an exotic reptile/amphibian breeding centre. Seems there might be quite a range of exotics in the undergrowth around here! And clearly they've been here a while so unlikely to die out or be easily extirpated even if you wanted to.

Well I will keep an eye out for adults - I had already placed 3 corrugated tin sheets down with logs on top around the new pond for the mice/voles so I will check these now and again. Any advice on this and other places to check for adults?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic