the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petervac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice needed
    Posted: 27 May 2009 at 10:38am
first post, i live in northern ireland, theres a pond behind my home that is full of frog"s / newts (i find hundreds of them in my garden) , sandy coloured newts im not to sure wich type they are,  ? anyway ive just heard that planning has went through, to build house over the pond. what do i do ? any help would be app
wellies101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wellies101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 7:39pm
I would say first step is to identify what species of newt you have and how big the population is.
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 9:53pm
Hi Peter

So far as I am aware, the Smooth Newt is the only species of newt found in Northern Ireland. Assuming this is correct, there is recent legislation (Habitats Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1995 and amendment 2007) arising from the UK's need to comply with European Protected Species legislation. Under this legislation the Smooth Newt in Ireland is protected against "killing, injuring, taking or keeping" and it is illegal to damage or destroy its habitat.
In practice, of course, all of these things ARE allowable under license but, certainly in the mainland, where a protected species is found then some sort of rescue/mitigation would (should) be required under the planning consent. A summary of the full legislation, together with some links can be found at http://www.herpconstrust.org.uk/new_hab_directive_2007_NI.ht m .
It may be worth contacting the local authority responsible for the planning consent pointing all of this out. It may even be possible that the landowner/planning authority is not aware that the newts are present or that the destruction of them or their habitat would be an offence - but if approaching them, this should be done diplomatically. If all else fails, the local press are often only too eager to take up such a cause.
Others with more experience with this sort of problem can probably offer even more advice.
Hope this helps
Chris

Edited by Iowarth
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Petervac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petervac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 9:41am
thank you for your replys,  they are smooth newts, ive only found female newts i think ?   how do i tell if its a male ?
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 12:15pm
Hi Peter

If you look at our identification pages there are pictures of both sexes of Smooth newt (link here). I still seem to have quite a few male newts still in the pond with a prominent crest. Even in their terrestrial stage though the males are easily distinguishable by the pronounced swelling beneath the base of the tail. Certainly very identifiable if you can see several of them to allow comparison.
All the best
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic