the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adders on Mendip 2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adders on Mendip 2011
    Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 6:23pm
Hi all.

Saw my first of the year today at my usual Mendip spot.  It was about 15 degC early pm, dropping to about 10degC later pm.  It was sunny but with a cold wind.

Saw about 10 in total, including these four (sorry for poor quality of photo).

Also four Grass Snakes.

Regards,

Tim.

Edited by tim-f
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 10:03pm
Nice work Tim, funny to think that in a few weeks and they'll be beating each other up, right now, they are happy to huddle for some warmth
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 10:54pm
Is one of them melanistic?
Suz
tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 10:43pm
Either that or he isn't using enough sun block.

I've seen a melanistic one in the area before - I think 2008 and 2009, though not last year.  Not quite the same place, about 300m away.  Maybe the same individual?  Not sure if Robbie Lab's still around, but he may be able to give a view on how many melanistic Adders there are at that site.

Tim.

kevinb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 11:15pm

Hi Tim I was down there today,saw 3 Grass snakes and 10 Adders including this dark one.

Robbielab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbielab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by tim-f tim-f wrote:

Not sure if Robbie Lab's still around, but he may be able to give a view on how many melanistic Adders there are at that site.

Yep, still here! So far at the site I have found maybe 8 melanistics (of the 150+ adders I've found there, it's not a high percentage!). 3 of these have been completely melanistic (the markings are virtually undistingushable), but most have been "semi-melanistic", like the one in your photo.
I was at the site on Monday and found 13 adders, 4 grassies and a few lizards... no slow worms yet this year.

These two were from Monday's outing...

... and here are some more melanistics from the site from the last few years.

Tim, I was wondering if you have noticed a change in reptile numbers since the land "management" destroyed virtually all of the cover from several parts of the site? I found far fewer snakes last year than in the two previous years when the vegetation was still there!

Tony, I visited Stockhill last spring (in Feb) with John Dixon. Only found one adder, but the weather wasn't great. Maybe check it out again sometime.

Cheers!

Robbie
JamesM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 8:58am

Some beautiful-looking specimens.

Congrats! :)

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 7:02pm
On the heaths I look at I've never seen ONE melanistic!
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic