the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Societies, Groups and Clubs > SE Regional HGBI Groups Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

adders in greater london

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicpayne_1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adders in greater london
    Posted: 25 Aug 2005 at 12:31pm

hi all im new to the forum i wanted to ask if anyone on the forum is currentley monitoring ******** in bromley ?

i ask as i have done abit of surveying there in the last 2 days  and recorded 5 slow-worms 32 viviparous lizards and 16 adders 3 of which were juveniles .

i am seriously concerned for the adder population here one individual lives on his own on a small heather area seperated by a major road from the other population , in one area scrub has been removed from a site and all that remains there is bare open soil and two tiny heather patches in the centre both containg adders complteley isolated from the main population by 300 yards of dense old woodland would relocating the adders in the isolated areas to the main adder site be a good idea?i ask as the situation in london as a whole is critical apparentley there are only 150 adders approximatly in the entire greater london area!

does anyone know of any action thats going to be taken on ********  to preserve the adder population here?

also whats peoples views on ken livingstones comments he may introduce adders from outside london to the few remaing sites in london were they still occour none of these populations are apparentley geneticaly viable.

Edited by GemmaJF
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2005 at 1:29pm

Hi. welcome to the forum, the site you mentioned is very sensitive and we have a policy of not allowing sensitive sites (particularly adder sites) to be named on the forum.

calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2005 at 1:35pm
If you contact me directly I will put you in touch with the person responsible
for monitoring the site. I'm sure he will be delighted to receive additional
records.

Lee
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
nicpayne_1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicpayne_1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2005 at 3:44pm

sorry i should have the common sense not to mention the sites name!as sites go its about as sensitive as they come!

do you know if he is in contact with the people involved with the heathland restoration  of the site ?  i noticed a couple of things they have done which are detrimental to the few individuals left . i fear the adders will dissapear altogether in the next 5 years if more action isnt undertaken to prevent there decline on the site

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2005 at 4:02am

Please contact Rachel Cook at English Nature - London Office she is coordinating the Adder SAP in London.

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic