the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Method & Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adder Wildlife Report

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adder Wildlife Report
    Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 11:55am

Got my latest copy of British Wildlife this morning and there is a good report on the problems facing adders and adder initiatives being carried out (some by the experts on this forum). Coming close on the heels of the BBC prog this all seems promising for raising the adder profile. The article is by Howard Inns of the Herpetological Conservation Trust.

My only disappointment with this publication is the lack of column inches given to reptiles and amphibians against other species. Is this because of perceived lack of interest by readers or because they have lots of reports sent in by those interested in other species?

Returning to adders there is a website indicated in the publication that I hadn't known of www.adder.org.uk

After all the hot weather flash floods here in East Devon this morning. Had a look at the slow worms in their compost heap and was surprised to see a large grey slow worm that I haven't seen before.

Suz
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Suzi Suzi wrote:

Coming close on the heels of the BBC prog this all seems promising for raising the adder profile.

I couldn't agree more. In fact I have a few ideas with regard to pushing the boat out quite a bit further. Kent's 'Adders in Decline' project has a steering group meeting next week and I'm hoping to make a few suggestions for some local initiatives. Restorers of chalk grassland beware!! With any luck we can use this as a push to get something achieved nationally as well.

Watch this space...
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 3:47pm

'Returning to adders there is a website indicated in the publication that I hadn't known of www.adder.org.uk'

Ummm there has been a link to adder.org.uk on the RAUK homepage for a couple of months  (though I have to own up to Chris that I haven't got around to updating the title to 'Adders then and now' as he requested but is on my to do list)

Essex 'heathland' restorers (adder habitat wreckers) also beware.. rudeness and generic arguments won't stand up against survey data and specific site analysis.. and I am not going to go away.

Edited by GemmaJF
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 5:35pm

Lee,

I know we'll have a chance to discuss points during the steering meeting but I think one of the key issues to get across to managements teams is the need to survey and identify key features before these schemes are initiated.

Seems obvious but I still come across the attitude that adder are evenly distributed across sites and will just move out of the way whilst heavy plant is used then come back when the vegetation eventually recovers..how wrong they are.

(still it doesn't help when you carry out such surveys and the management team stick their heads in the sand and mutter 'we know best')

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 6:14pm

Gemma,

Oops sorry didn't know there was a link through to the adder.org.uk on the homepage. Glad I said it was a site I hadn't known of as I guess most other regulars here already know of it!

That's the danger of wooshing straight to the Forum without going via the homepage!

Suz
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 6:21pm

Suzi,

Nobody looks at the homepage I was just teasing.. that's why the homepage still has the same 'latest news' from months ago

When the forums go quiet over the winter I'll get around to migrating the database, the new version will have the links visible on the forum pages too.

One project that hasn't yet been mentioned for anyone following this thread is 'Make the adder count'

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/make_the_adder_count.asp

The more support all three of these projects get the better.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 6:25pm
And one more plug, any adder sightings submitted using the RAUK online form will also be fed into these projects
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2005 at 1:41pm

You keep fighting on there Gemma - it has been amusing to see the emails from both parties - I am trying now to keep involved with people who want to work at conservation - ie private landowners and local authorities - one good example is the Essex County Council get volunteers and the Rnager Service are very keen

unlike the NT and EWT

Regards

JC

PS any Essex records would be welcome for up and coming atlas for this year!

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2005 at 2:58pm

To be honest Jon I would find the whole thing amusing if it wasn't for the fact that I've got to know a lot of the adder at Backwarden (It didn't take long there are not that many left). When someone with absolutely no knowledge of a species dismisses a report as 'flawed' or 'floored' as I think he spelt it with nothing to back up his argument other than some anecdotal rubbish about reptiles needing open spaces (read as bare earth cleared by heavy plant) one really does have to wonder. I particularly liked the way he got annoyed when I suggested their plan was single goal management, whilst at the same time accusing me of promoting single species management by submitting a report outlining my concerns regarding adder at the reserve and suggesting some very basic precautions they could take to safeguard them. At no point has there been any reasonable communication, the EWT simply don't reply to any correspondance whilst the NT response comes clearly from someone who isn't even familiar with what is happening at the site telling me I'm confused..what can one say.

Edited by GemmaJF
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2005 at 6:42pm

Dear Gemma

Anyone who is interested in those vile poisonous serpents is obviously a "floored" person only concerned with single species management and they're so confused   that they can't see that the managers are dealing with proper conservation for birds, plants, etc. Probably on a par with those slugs interested in molluscs or those pesky fly enthusiasts.

Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic