the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adder Reintroductions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 1:30pm
I think an ideal strategy would be:

1) Identify a site with a known adder population that is to be subjected to large scale clearance work

2) Contact the organisation(s) involved. Outline the need for pre-works survey and their obligation under the WCA to not unlawfully kill adder. This can only be achieved if the population density is understood and key habitat features are protected. (I'm not keen on only protecting hibernacula. It is part of the adders ecology for male adders to disperse into surrounding habitat and set-up surface dens to intercept the females. This habitat must also be managed considerately). A paper trail will need to be kept to ensure we have evidence that the presence of adder was highlighted to the organisations and our concerns voiced.

3) In the event of them not producing an acceptable survey report and mitigation strategy for the site - disrupt the works with a protest.

4) Maintain a presence onsite and if any adder is killed though thoughtless management of the site, pursue a prosecution under the WCA for unlawful killing.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

Edited by GemmaJF - 30 Jan 2012 at 1:31pm
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 5:24pm
Hi,

is not 19 the magic number? That is you can legally have 19 members of the public on a protest legally or is that just in picketing situations?

R
RobV
Fynbos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fynbos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 12:42am
Why do you think I moved to South Africa? (Yes I'm Back). Nothing much has changed by the look of it, NE still looking at the dream of Hardy's Egdon Heath i.e. monoculture of heather.
The fact that the adder is venomous is irrelevant; snakes are one of the most important vertebrate predators in an ecosystem where they occur - what happend to Biodiversity???

Here in SA we don't condemn the cape cobra or Puff adder for being venomous Conservation bodies here such as cape natuire and sanparks accept them as an integral part of habitats.
We are also strict on relocating. When I deal with problem snakes they have to be released within 20km from point of origin. If not they are euthanased. That may sound harsh, and it doesn't happen often, nut its being realistic and not playing up to the bunnhy huggers.

Thats why I am against translocations of adders in the UK unless it is local. It just gives one a 'feelgood factor' but little to do with practical conservation.
I get mu kicks on route 62
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic