the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdder + Nikon 40mm Macro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by kevinb kevinb wrote:

If one looks at other forums then it is obvious who Northern venom is.

He doesn't try to hide his identity on other forums where he is well respected and I don't think it's a big secret here either. I won't reveal his name because that's down to him but professionally he is a well respected herpetologist and private keeper/breeder of some beautiful venomous snakes.

Originally posted by AGILIS AGILIS wrote:

Jason My real hate of captivity is more down to the type size dwellings that animals are kept in , ie 2 foot long dragons & Iguanas in 4foot vivs that just about cater for common lizards, as I said I used to keep sand lizards commons and green lizards years ago and I dont think my tanks were big enough. keith

For the record I'd better give a little background information on myself and state that I don't currently keep any reptiles or amphibians. Until recently I kept a corn snake for quite a few years and when I was young I kept a garter snake. I briefly kept a common lizard that I rescued from my office building at work. This lizard then gave birth to ten young lizards the following day which I kept and fed well for two weeks before releasing them all.

And back to the conversation . . .
Because many wild reptiles are not used to much contact with humans they can become quite agoraphobic when kept in captivity. Many breeders have had very poor results when trying to house some reptiles in large, spacious natural-looking enclosures. Once the reptiles are transferred into small 'rubs' where they can't see what's going on around them they often start to eat and settle down. So it's easy to see why many breeders prefer this type of enclosure. It doesn't sit that comfortably with me seeing these beautiful creatures trapped in these little boxes but that's just how I feel. Personally I wouldn't want to keep a reptile in captivity that could only be kept in this manner but I'm certainly not about suggesting that other people are wrong for doing this. That's their choice and I have to respect that. I have friends who keep reptiles in this manner and they are healthy, happy and very well cared for.

Jason
Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 7:31pm
Who is the phantom northern venom ,shall we have a guessing game?

Edited by Paul Hudson - 13 Jan 2012 at 7:32pm
Paul Hudson
JaySteel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 7:52pm
I think most of us know but you can guess away if you need to know as well . . . . Wink
Or you can take some of the details that you've been given regarding the photos he's posted and do a quick search. It comes up fairly quickly.

Edited by JaySteel - 13 Jan 2012 at 7:53pm
Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:03pm
Still none the wiser?
Paul Hudson
tim-f View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 9:43pm
I believe he's called Richard Bingham.  It seems he has a reputation for being slightly elusive.

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 9:46pm
Hi all,

hey this thread has evolved into the subj of pet-keeping. just like Richards "this might be of interest" 1.

if youve an ear ive got a couple of brief RELATED TRUE TALES if interested (?);

i know someone who kept an adder for a time as a boy decades ago and got it to feed. later, he also kept a hen pheasant and a brown hare.
all 3 were domestic but the latter 2 vertebrates (unlike the serpent) lived in a less restrictive "open prison" environment.
IE they had full "free" run of the house (and beyond in the pheasants case)

the adder snuck its bedroom vivarium one day. so, panic-stricken lest mother found out (or some worse scenario), the youngster scoured the house. he finally located the snake beneath the stair carpet!
the reptile was released where it was originally taken from soon after.

the pheasant was an imprint. the only survivor of several eggs partially incubated by a sun-warmed ford cortina rather than an arse.
as such, the bird venomously struck at people visiting the house. in particular other females inc the (by now adolescent) kids girlfriend.
and if you had a sandwich then youd better act furtive as a thief with it.
that is if you wanted to eat the whole deal, unmolested. the Old Bill watched everywhere.

nevertheless, the avian was house-trained and quite "tame" in some respects. it sat happily on the sofa with the family and normally dumped in a newspaper-lined cardboard box in the kitchen.
a much bigger domestic hazard than birdsh*te were the 335 eggs the bird laid. everywhere. the sofa was a typical nest site and sometimes people had to change their trousers after sitting down to watch tv.
the avian was allowed outside but treated the house as game cover, returning to it whenever alarmed.
the boys mother wept for a couple of days when the bird eventually shuffled off rather than ruffled out.
she loved that girl. there are a few old photos of her holding it and beaming.

the brown hare was taken as a leveret and lived indoors for 3 years.
it behaved like any other hare in a sense. spending time sitting (under the wardrobe), charging up and down/round and round, the stairs/room at the expected rate (albeit far more audibly) and performing hare-raising (sorry!) somersaults in the front room - much to those present's delight/alarm/shock; the animals proverbial madness apparently matching that of any of its brethren.

the hare simply disappeared one day. presumably someone left the door open?

personally, just like Keith and Gemma, i dont keep any herps these days either. nothing against those that do tho. i learned a lot that way.

great pix NV.

all the best
Robert V View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 10:10am

Hello again all,

At Gemma and Chris’ invitation I thought I’d outline once more the point that I think Keith (please correct me Keith if I have this wrong) and I are making, in terms of captive ‘native’ reptiles/amphibians.

Personally, like I said before; I have no objection whatsoever to people ‘keeping’ herps in vivariums / terrariums provided of course they are well cared for.

By the age of 16, in 1976, long before the WCA 1981, the only UK native herps that I hadn’t ‘kept’ in cages, were the Smooth Snake, Sand Lizard, Natterjack Toad and the Crested Newt. Mainly because they were out of my area, except the Crested Newt, but at that time I was not particularly interested in newts. And kids from my school used to come round to view my menagerie and I was sometimes invited by the school to show them in class.

I had managed to obtain two pairs of Green Lizards from a dealer in Enfield. And the value of keeping reptiles by amateur herpetologists was brought home to me then, when, because of the difficulties in gaining a regular supply of crickets etc, I tried to supplement the GL’s diet with earthworms. Not only that; but with lack of info available on the subject at that time, I was keeping the GL’s on a substrate of sand and clumps of soft ‘pot grown’ grass. Put earthworms together with sand and you soon have a sticky writhing mass, but which were still taken by eager GL’s. Only when their gut became “impacted” and which led to loss of movement of their rear legs did I seek veterinarian assistance. Fortunately, the vet prescribed some miracle fluid cure which managed to clear the blockages and normality returned once I’d started chopping the worms into a shallow dish.

The point being, that, keeping reptiles has a value which brings an understanding of the subject; inc, the care, needs, parasites, cures, temperatures, diet, breeding cycles, vitamin supplements, temperament etc. And personally, I found the Adder to be a much more solid temperament, than snakes such as Taiwan Beauty snake, Red Tailed rat snake, Northern water snake and Mangrove snake, all of which were much more likely to strike for no apparent reason.

BUT: The point of RAUK as I understand it is to promote the successful conservation of the UK native herps in the wild???

Personalities aside, whether or not they are “reputable” and whether or not “it is the keepers prerogative to do what he chooses with the neos”; unless the keeping of those species are linked to a captive breeding programme which sees the release of the neos back into the wild (in well chosen locations), then the “keeping” cannot be considered as consistent with the aims of this web site.

If for instance, the likely demand for captive Adders (at a very rough guess) is one hundred a year for “keepers”, then the captive bred (CB) stock / programme should seek to meet that demand with say an additional 10-15% for unexpected losses and “natural wastage”.

Anything in excess of that figure should see the surplus neos being carefully recorded and released back into the wild.

Therefore; I suggest if the captive bred (CB) stock / programme cannot meet with the basic demand, then the answer is simple, the captive stock should not be held at all, if it is only pets for pets sake. This merely encourages ‘chancers’ to try to make up the numbers with wild caught (WC) animals and earn a few bob on the side.

And; as pet keeping is pet keeping and not conservation, the topic should be geared toward reptile keepers sites and not RAUK.

And Jason – re: your comments to Keith. Science has not established what triggers the herps to abandon an autochthonous existence and migrate to far off regions so it shouldn’t be for keepers to determine if any animal would “like to move”. You are seeing it strictly from a “human perspective”. If animals never wished to “wander”, then most of the Earth would not have become populated, as the herps simply would never have moved from their home ranges.

R
RobV
AGILIS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 2:45pm
Well here is another point people who keep herps buy from dealers ,point being people find out that if you go and catch some wild ones you can make some loot flogging them.
I did once or twice in the 1950s when la were not protected & sold me mates some sand lizards that I had spent my meagre pocket money on train and bus fares to Surrey or Dorset.that was just me as an individual,and there was not to many of us that did this,with me more likely being one of a few young herpos in my town that went on safaris,But I believe there were dealers who went to these places and wiped out whole colonies and I think there still are people who will do this today.Yes I am guilty in the past for these things but as you get older you learn the value of protecting our native species,keith

Edited by AGILIS - 14 Jan 2012 at 2:46pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
JaySteel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by tim-f tim-f wrote:

I believe he's called Richard Bingham.  It seems he has a reputation for being slightly elusive. 

. . . . . erm, no. Not Richard Bingham. Thanks for playing. Guess again! lol  Wink

Jason
JaySteel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 4:30pm
Robert V - I appreciate your comments and you make some valid points but I would strongly disagree that any discussions about keeping adders as pets have no place on this forum and should be confined to reptile forums instead. Any experience or knowledge gained from keeping reptiles that are native to the UK not only benefits reptile keepers but also benefits everyone with an interest in herpetology. I have never kept nor ever will keep an adder as a pet. But I am fascinated to learn from those that have or do keep them in captivity. I think much of the knowledge that herpetologists now have has come from those that have kept these creatures in captivity in past years and I for one am keen to continue learning from these keepers today.

I’m sure when Northern Venom returns he’ll be able to confirm that there is very little market for adders in the reptile trade in the UK. Because of the difficulties involved in obtaining a DWA licence from the local authorities these days those that have gone to all the trouble of obtaining their licence will not buy wild caught specimens at all. Any offspring from wild-caught specimens in this country cannot be sold or traded so they are of no worth. This is one of the main reasons why the reptile breeders are prepared to pay for adders that have come from generations of captive bred stock which have all the necessary documentation to prove such. Northern Venom could quite easily have gone out and caught a few wild adders if he’d wanted to but this simply isn’t done by keepers wishing to breed from them (even those that don’t care about our native herps) because the offspring have no retail value.

“. . . cannot be considered as consistent with the aims of this web site.” – I’d also strongly disagree with this statement too I’m afraid. I see no reason why the keeping of reptiles in captivity and the conservation of our native herps cannot run together side-by-side. Northern Venom is proof that they can. He is a highly experienced ecological consultant successfully running his own ecology company as well as being a very experienced keeper of venomous snakes. I don’t feel that there is any contradiction in what he does and I don’t see how his actions are not in harmony with the aims of this web site. I believe that a large part of heptological conservation involves and is dependent on our learning about our native herps.

“Anything in excess of that figure should see the surplus neos being carefully recorded and released back into the wild.”  -  I don’t know what Northern Venom’s plans are for the offspring of any adders that he manages to successfully breed. Maybe he has long term plans involving the release of some snakes into the wild at some point but I think we should respect his decision whatever it is. I know that he is passionate about our native herps and cares for their well being. I have read comments that he has made on another forum indicating how protective he is over the adder populations on sites that he regularly monitors so I think we need to give him the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully he’ll be back on here at some point to clarify things and explain his intentions to those concerned. I think I read that he’s away for six weeks so we may have to wait to hear from him again. I’m not a friend of Northern Venom myself. I don't know the guy at all. I’ve never met him or even talked to him. In fact I’ve never even had any discussion with him on other forums. I only know of him by reading his posts and comments on other forums but I just hope that when he returns we can all treat him with the same dignity and respect that we ourselves would like to be treated.

I respect and appreciate the views and opinions raised on this thread and those who have posted thus far and would state that I have no hard feelings at all to anyone who doesn’t agree with any of the opinions that I’ve expressed personally.

Best regards,
Jason

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic