the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Qo For Mervyn, Gemma, and Lee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Qo For Mervyn, Gemma, and Lee
    Posted: 28 Jun 2003 at 9:41am
I notice next to your posts your animated gifs , do you mind if ask how you make them ? Is it some sort of software?

Thanks ,
Alan
Mervyn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mervyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2003 at 9:46am
Alan

I will leave the reply to the experts. I have enough trouble with the pelling

Mervyn J. COTTENDEN, CPA
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2003 at 11:00am
Hehe , Ok Mervyn, no problum
Alan
test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2003 at 11:23am
Hi Alan I used Ulead GIF animator 1.5, not that many features but very easy to use.

I've not tried this free download, but it says it contains GIF animator 1.5 and other bits for creating animated GIFs

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Graphics_Editors/Ulead_WebRazor_Download.html
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2003 at 12:00pm
Hi Gemma , Many Thanks.

I'll take a look at that link a little later , if that's no good i'll have a browse in PC World for Ulead.

Cheers,
Alan
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2003 at 12:13pm
The Download didn't work. it allowed me to download the set up exe, but then said the programme wasn't available . I'll look in de shops later.

Thanks,
Alan
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2003 at 12:34pm
Hi Alan, the software I use for animated gif is Adobe ImageReady. It comes bundled with Photoshop 7 (and 6 I think). It's quite a powerful package but very intuitive to use, just put the images you want to use into a folder and use 'open folder as frames' arrange, time them, and tween them how you like then use 'optimise' and 'export' as gifs. Takes about two minutes.

There are lots of other GIF animators out there, there's one built into PaintShop Pro (which you can normally download a 30day version of, or find on magazine coverdisk), and plenty of other small GIF only programs. Do a quick search on the web for freeware, I'm sure you'll find something.

Good luck! Cheers, Lee.
Lee Fairclough
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2003 at 12:41pm
Hi Lee,

Many thanks mate , great tips. I'll have a look in the shops this afternoon and see what I can afford.

Good luck with your Adder head scales mission also.

I've just been chatting with an old friend of mine that is a warden on the Basingstoke Canal and Brookwood heaths .We're going to work together a bit to try and gather together photos of resident adders . See if we can sus' out how many are left out there in Brookwood.

Should be interesting,
Cheers Lee,
Alan
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2003 at 5:18pm
Well it looks like you got yourself sorted then ! The idea of using photo's to ID adders sounds ideal, at least for the adults (neo's could get tricky), do you know if anyone has ever tried this before? (I know they use it for cetaceans). Best of luck, Lee.
Lee Fairclough
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2003 at 3:00pm
Excellent, sound like it's a tried and tested method then. I suppose it could be worked into all types os population determining methods (i.e. would replace marking in mark and recapture experiments). This type of work appears to take place on so few adder sites and regular reassessment seems even less frequent. Again, best of luck with this survey, look forward to seeing what you find (hopefully a nice healthy population!).

Cheers, Lee.
Lee Fairclough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic