the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A new website?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A new website?
    Posted: 14 Jul 2005 at 6:18pm

After a few recent experiences regarding persecution of native snakes, misidentifications and numerous calls from hysterical people in the last couple of weeks regarding grass snakes marauding around threatening their children, I've been doing some thinking.

I've been thinking of a new website dedicated to native snakes. The idea is to address the common questions and make ID information really simple. In some ways I feel it would be going over old ground, in others it is clear to me that many people never get past the adder ID page on RAUK before they decide the slow-worm they have seen will eat their entire family. It might therefore help to have all the basic information on a single page as perhaps the casual or concerned viewer is not getting to all the information.

I've already thought about putting together an information pack with some of the excellent literature available from EN, Froglife etc. that can be ordered straight from the site.

Any thoughts or ideas about this? I'm particularly interested in other peoples experiences regarding common misconceptions people have and recurring questions and how these might be addressed through a website.

Edited by GemmaJF
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2005 at 6:03pm

Gemma,

IÆve used the ID section of this website and think itÆs good. I am an interested amateur and find the info given helpful and sufficient. The labels on the photos drawing attention to distinctive features in identification I think are useful. The section ôWhat else could it be?ö is also a good idea and I wonder if, like in some bird ID books, it might be even more helpful to place side by side the pictures of creatures that might be confusable and again label the differences. I am thinking of adder and grass snake!

A lot of us are lazy at times with websites and it must be obvious to you from the queries you receive that many folk just never bother to read the text. I think probably pictures with labels and minimum text is possibly best if you want to keep it simple and attention grabbing.

IÆm sure weÆve all heard some amusing tales of misidentification. A slow worm wriggling through some grass was pointed out to me by a neighbour as a grass snake. Logical really as it was in grass! Another person told me she had lots of smooth snakes in her compost heap û again slow worms! We all were beginners once so we all made mistakes even if we were just kids.

How much emphasis you put on the possible danger from adders is perhaps another consideration. Whilst being aware that there is the potential of being bitten and minimizing that risk this needs to be balanced against what hopefully most of us would want and that is for people to enjoy seeing an adder and want to know more about it.

Suz
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2005 at 5:58am
################
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2005 at 9:03am
I get quite a few emails from people who looked over my site and aren't 100% sure of identifications too. Usually because the animal they've found is a different colour to the ones in my pictures, or is at a different life stage. There is a possibility, too, that people (like Caleb mentions) find someones escaped pet. I'm now in the process of providing an upload area so that people can submit pictures of the animals they see, this will hopefully provide a larger cross section of photos for people to reference from.

Last summer, a friend (an ecologist at that) found a snake they couldn't identify on the road a couple of miles from me. I went and found it to be a Bairds ratsnake. He'd have struggled like hell to I.D. that one online without asking somebody, so a page of commonly seen exotics is also on the cards too.

As always Gemma, if there is anything that would be of use to you on my site feel free to help yourself.

Regards, Lee.
Lee Fairclough
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2005 at 5:26pm

Gemma,

I've looked at the KRAG site and yes it is good for showing what to look out for. Like Lee and Caleb I favour good pictures in the first instance and then link through to more detail for those interested. The comments on including pictures showing the variations to be found within a species would be most helpful.

Last year I forwarded a pic of a pure green viv. lizard to a forum expert (here) as I thought it might be a sand lizard. Whilst I had studied the sand lizard pictures I had never actually seen one and felt that as what I saw was very green it had to be one! The only green viv. lizard pic I had seen was a  completely different green so it is easy to make a mistake!   

I think your ideas are definitely on the right track.

Suz
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2005 at 6:15pm

Caleb I think you have the answer with the random pictures. I find it is often interpretation of wording that throws people with the ID pages. If, as an example, you describe a grassies neck markings as a 'collar' it throws people who saw the markings as 'triangles' etc. We all know grassies are green or olive brown, but I suspect many of us have also seen the black streaks in undegrowth that jizz tells us was actually a grassie in a hurry under certain lighting conditions. And lots of images is the only way to cover colour variation in adders, I've seen yellow males with green zigzags, none of those in the books!

I can see it might be useful to have some interactive pages, where people choose the most like picture then perhaps tick some boxes to see if the ID is likely to be correct. This would be good for the recording form also, I'm already thinking of ways to highlight to users smooth snakes, natterjacks and sandies from unlikely locations before they submit records. The good thing is there are now enough records submitted to pick out the most common ID problems.

Lee, Would it be possible for RAUK to link to your page of commonly seen exotics? I've toyed with this one but feel it is a little beyond the scope of RAUK as it was designed to cover natives, naturalised and potentially harmful exotic species. It might be good to have the link at the end of the interactive pages if peeps cannot find anything that fits?

Suzi, me thinks green vivi lizards only exist to confuse people 

Edited by GemmaJF
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2005 at 6:39pm
No worries Gemma, I'm going on the scrounge for pics now and should have that section ready soon (site is in dire need of an overhall).

Oh, and for the for the oft' cited but never pictured green viv.lizs... check this lil' baby out:

GREEN VIV LIZ
Lee Fairclough
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2005 at 5:06am
Originally posted by -LAF -LAF wrote:

No worries Gemma, I'm going on the scrounge for pics now and should have that section ready soon (site is in dire need of an overhall).

Oh, and for the for the oft' cited but never pictured green viv.lizs... check this lil' baby out:

GREEN VIV LIZ

Sometimes, being colour blind can be a real advantage for herp ID...   

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2005 at 5:10am

Love the idea of the snake ID page Gemma.

Though I'd suggest it should be really 'Janet & John'. I'm guessing your target audience aren't the typical web-ferrets like many of us on this forum.

I'd suggest, as you have outlined, just the two widespread snakes with a slow-worm thrown in, typical markings, with links to greater depth. You should be able to see good comparison pics on one page without scrolling.

My tuppence :P

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2005 at 5:55am

I think what I'll try to do is create different levels of info for different users. 

I'm keen to put together some interactive pages that will guide peeps through identification. i.e. they start with four basic pictures, slow-worm, adder, smoothie, grass snake on clicking the link they are taken to a page where they answer some basic questions regarding location, habitat, micro habitat, behaviour - if none of it fits their choice they will be kicked back with that choice missing to try again. Perhaps then I'll get less records of smoothies swimming across lakes in Suffolk?

It's amazing that four species can cause so much confusion.. still then again I'm just getting my teeth into identifying darter dragonflies, I'm sure they are obvious to an odonatologist but they all kinda look the same to me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic