the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 SMOOTH SNAKES SEEN TODAY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 SMOOTH SNAKES SEEN TODAY
    Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 9:23pm
Yes unbelievable I see a dozen today three under a tin and 9 all basking in the arvo sun all different ones all about 3foot apart in one position I could manage seeing four at once and the over 5 in the same area and one curled up almost on the footpath ,all my life of looking I have never seen so many from gravids to males well any one say you dont see CA basking I can challenge that I thought it was good seeing a load of grass snakes but this takes the ticket what a great day I must point out they were not repeat sightings all were different & I am gob smacked I cant post all the pics keith.

Gravid fem and another Wogret

coiled up by foot path

on sand bank with seven others

another two near one another on a sand bank

one of the pair

no I dont want to look at you

Edited by AGILIS - 19 Aug 2011 at 8:01am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 10:48pm
You lucky devil Keith! Amazing.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 11:45pm
Goes to show if you spend enough time out there anything can happen! Truly once in a lifetime experience Keith, thanks for sharing.
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 12:47am
jammy git.LOL
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 9:32am
I'd agree with all the above comments!  Keith - if this site is the same as the location of your mating smoothies it would be worth letting NE know how important this bank is, before someone comes along and tidies it up!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 10:21am
Come on Will, tidying is not essential as most sites can be improved by a good stomping and munching by cattle! 
Suz
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 10:31am
Hi Suzy; doh, I forgot! and  maybe some Chinese Lanterns could be used, too!
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 1:56pm
Yes Will. I have aready considered that on the day but Nat Eng have a call center and try to speak to some one on site! , and I am not going to expose the sites position to some one not directly involved with that area. Keith

Edited by AGILIS - 17 Aug 2011 at 3:03pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:32pm
yes, I think the Slepe Farm centre has closed unfortunately - but I'd definitely alert someone reputable like Nick Moulton at ARC Trust HQ, personally, but it's up to you of course.  It's just that I've had some special places (even on NNR's) where a follow-up visit has revealed the place has been trashed by insensitive management.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic