the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seen an interesting news item?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Paul Ford Paul Ford wrote:

Interesting stuff

Back to the story, is it just me (a cynical old git) that can see no way back for that frog..? It seems very unlikely to me that it leapt to safety (not without some kind of intervention). I reckon the story has been changed to give a happy ending (sorry frog lovers!)

Paul

It's possible if it was taken from behind (excuse that phrase but I don't know how else to describe it!) the grassy did release it and left it alone if being observed by a photographer.

The snake usually has to maneuver the frog around to swallow it head first if its large, as the hind legs get in the way. Usually this is achieved without dropping the prey, they sort of move each side of the jaw slowly around the frog to get the frog positioned right. It's more difficult for the snake the larger the frog is. Most frogs seem to just give in to it, but not all and sometimes the snake is forced to releases the prey and often if this occurs the snake loses interest.

Many of the 'drops' I observed were at a garden pond in Suffolk in my childhood which did have relatively large adult frogs. It was then I started to observe frogs that had been released floating dead in the pond several hours later.

Edited by GemmaJF - 03 Aug 2014 at 1:22pm
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 8:16pm
Bloody hell there will be hysteria amid our local dog walkers if this venomous grassy story goes viral already we have had pet poodles in the Sudbury area being nearly swallowed by grassies this year. Keith

Edited by AGILIS - 04 Aug 2014 at 8:17pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 7:53am
Well Keith we can't stifle understanding of herpetofauna for fear of media frenzy and public mass hysteria can we? 

It's been a bit of a year for it, what with your poodles being eaten in Sudbury and children swallowed up whole in London! All we need to top it off is one of those walkers who picks up an adder in each hand and wonders why they get bitten... 

David Sanderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Sanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 8:55pm
This is bad news. Badly written too. 

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-08-06/man-flown-to-hospital-after-snake-attack/

This my news patch - and I'll have to report this tomorrow - but rest assured I shall write it in a way that has more emphasis on the man who picked up the snake (as reported by BBC) - rather than SNAKE ATTACKS MAN!!!!
David Sanderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Sanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 9:01pm
In fact - would any of our experts on here be willing to do a prerecorded interview in the morning with me - so I can get the message out there that adders aren't aggressive? 
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 11:25pm
bitten three times?!? hmm...will wait for your report dave

tom
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 8:54am
well here the bite I mean bit in yesterdays mail Keith

Edited by AGILIS - 08 Aug 2014 at 1:11pm
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 8:56am
well heres the bite I mean bit in yesterdays mail Keith

Edited by AGILIS - 09 Aug 2014 at 5:52am
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 4:59pm
I'm sorry Keith, did you say that was the Daily Fail? Surely not, it's very nearly factual ! In fact, if I could read it better it might even be totally factual.

Let's hope they don't notice or they might have to print a retraction!

Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 5:55am
Hi Chris I hope I dont get sued all the site needs is a Snakegate case brought by a loads of plebs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
  Share Topic